IT Service Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting the most out of building your ITSM project – with Services

StuartRance

Chuck,

You say that you are "a products person" but you clearly understand the need for a balance between people, process and technology.

In my experience the biggest failing in many ITSM projects is a failure to address the ABC (attitudes, behaviour and culture) issues. The importance of management of change is discussed at great length in blogs and books, but seems to be missing from many real ITSM projects. Organizations that just implement a new ITSM tool very rarely get the value their stakeholders expect, but when this is combined with processess improvement, and driven by a management of change project, the increase in business value can be remarkable.

0 Kudos
About the Author

StuartRance

Comments
StuartRance

Chuck,

You say that you are "a products person" but you clearly understand the need for a balance between people, process and technology.

In my experience the biggest failing in many ITSM projects is a failure to address the ABC (attitudes, behaviour and culture) issues. The importance of management of change is discussed at great length in blogs and books, but seems to be missing from many real ITSM projects. Organizations that just implement a new ITSM tool very rarely get the value their stakeholders expect, but when this is combined with processess improvement, and driven by a management of change project, the increase in business value can be remarkable.

chuck_darst

Stuart,

Thanks for the comment. I like the ABC. This one is new to me.

Regarding the tool swap due to value unrealized, this is a repeating theme in my conversations with the industry analysts. They obviously hear this regularly and have some interesting ways of describing it. One of the most memorable is the serial spouse syndrome of marriage, separation, divorce, and repeat on a 3 year cycle.

MaryRasmussen

Chuck - So I know you are well aware that I started my career as strictly a products person.   I can tell you that it was in that role that I gained my appreciation for the contribution of professional services and the channel partners that later sparked my interest in working with channel partners. So I'm talking about 10+ years ago, and well before SaaS took over the scene. Then as a product manager I saw how the right people on the delivery side made my products “sing” at the customer site – not by providing basic install/test services, but by providing business and process level consulting that drove rapid business value from the software investment.  The need and value  of these types of services is independent of the delivery model (SaaS v. Onprem) IMHO. Mary

chuck_darst

Thanks for the comment Mary, well said!

felix_fernandez

Chuck,

It's always good to hear from a products person the importance of services to achieve the expected return on investment of an ITSM project. There are several reasons for that, you've mentioned many of them. A good product delivers higher value and makes it easier to realize ... as far as it is introduced in the organization with the right objectives and follows the right strategy.

In one of the latest projects we've delivered, we've spent much more time aligning objectives, defining the future state, building the roadmap and managing the change, than really implementing the product. Me made a study and we were using 85% out of the box functionality and best practices, but that 15% made a difference. One of the main reasons was the IT Operating Model. For example, if you try to apply a centralized and retained IT model to a decentralized and multi-sourced IT, it does't work. But spending some time to understand the organization, where they are and where is realistic they can be, using for example some Directed Design technics, you can make that 15% custom configuration deliver the full value of the product.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more