IT Service Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HP Service Manager, Fulfilling your need for speed

Steve Adamson

Hi Scott,

really great to see a blog on SM performance !

I can confirm its a real pleasure viewing the Production database IO graphs before and after

KM00413937

Steve

0 Kudos
About the Author

Steve Adamson

Comments
Steve Adamson

Hi Scott,

really great to see a blog on SM performance !

I can confirm its a real pleasure viewing the Production database IO graphs before and after

KM00413937

Steve

chuck_darst

Scott,

I think through my favorite movies over the years that deal with speed, and jumping to hyperspace circa 1977 comes to mind.

Anyhow, when/how do you see horizontial and/or vertical scaling coming into play for improving Service Manager performance? Any additional pointers or relatively quick comments here?

Chuck

ScottKnox

Thanx Steve.  We love to get validation from customers.

For the rest of you I want to point out that Steve and his team were instrumental in helping us validate the impact of the performance changes in the doc.  It was one of the reasons I added this particular document to the blog.  :-)

ScottKnox

Cool comment Chuck. Although I personally might have waited for May the Fourth to post.  LOL 

Your question regarding Horizontal vs Vertical scaling  is very interesting. For those that are wondering, horizontal and vertical scaling refer to the way you move the knife on the fish. Seriously, they refer to whether there is one (vertical) or multiple (horizontal)  server systems supporting Service Manager.  These scaling options are available to enable unlimited user scaling and  to remove the risk of a single point of failure in the server tier.

So should you consider vertical scaling?  The fast answer is yes,  customers would likely realize faster performance in a vertically scaled configuration than in a similarly sized horizontally scaled system. Generally speaking, Vertical  scaling can be very effective in smaller implementations up to about 250 concurrent user or in larger systems if there is sufficient memory or CPU resources available.  Interestingly, customers with vertical implementations also realize improved resilience, especially on Service Manager versions prior to 9.30.

That said, Just like speed is not the only consideration for an F14 Tomcat (or a starship for that matter) you need to think about other factors. The key topics to consider are system sizing and high availability implications. 

There you go Chuck.  I hope that gives you and your favorite Wookie something interesting to think about.  Should you want more on these topics feel free to reach out to us on the forums or contact customer support as identified in my blog.

May the Fourth be with you….  

ScottKnox

Hi everyone. 

I saw a couple new blogs on performanc that I wanted to link to this article.  The first is an introduction to performance testing by our performance center of excellence team.  You can see it here : http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/IT-Service-Management-Blog/HP-Service-Manager-SM-An-Introduction-to-Performance-Testing/ba-p/6115885 

The second is an article on how bandwidth and latency affect performance.  You can see that one here

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/IT-Service-Management-Blog/HP-Service-Manager-How-Latency-and-Bandwidth-Impact-Performance/ba-p/6115895 

I hope you like them. 

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more