cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Helping IT get out of the way with reusable solution and fulfillment plans

chuck_darst

David,

A couple of thoughts -

First, I like your pragmatic example of (simple) automation. This is a good balance to the use of more orchestrated workflows in triage, remediation, change task, or request task execution. As automation becomes more pervasive within the service desk organization, it will need to play at multiple different levels.

Second and more philosophically, first call resolution is another common KPI that comes into play here. I like your post as it is a good illustration that high FCR's are not always desirable. As you illustrate, it is better to not have a service desk agent have to deal with the above scenario. Once the cause and effects were understood, they could handle the above fairly quickly and resolve the "ticket" on first touch. This is great for FCR on a percentage basis, but less desirable for the organization overall.

Chuck

0 Kudos
About the Author

chuck_darst

HPE IT Service Management Product Marketing team manager spanning our solutions for the service desk, asset mngt, CMS, and more. My background is engineering and computer science in the networking and telecom worlds. As they used to say in Telcom, "the network is the business" (hence huge focus on service management). I always enjoyed working with customers and on the business side of things, so here I am in ITSM marketing.

Comments
Jean-Marc Bronoel

This is absolutely spot on. I love the KPI angle to this story. It's time to grasp the new style of IT, and its new measures. This is all about how many tickets and incidents have been avoided.

JMB 

chuck_darst

David,

A couple of thoughts -

First, I like your pragmatic example of (simple) automation. This is a good balance to the use of more orchestrated workflows in triage, remediation, change task, or request task execution. As automation becomes more pervasive within the service desk organization, it will need to play at multiple different levels.

Second and more philosophically, first call resolution is another common KPI that comes into play here. I like your post as it is a good illustration that high FCR's are not always desirable. As you illustrate, it is better to not have a service desk agent have to deal with the above scenario. Once the cause and effects were understood, they could handle the above fairly quickly and resolve the "ticket" on first touch. This is great for FCR on a percentage basis, but less desirable for the organization overall.

Chuck

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more