IT Service Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: USS Enterprise ITSM -- Conquering your big data

ScottKnox

Great points Chuck. 

Using big data should not be hard and there will be a lot of applications such as problem management that can help our service delivery.

One other thing that your note reminds me of is the idea of Connected Intelligence. The point here is that big data is not only about finding information in a large lake of data. It also includes the concept of combining information sources and then looking at the "Connected Information" to look for patterns.  Consider the idea of "connecting" incident tickets with change tickets to find patterns that tell us about bad changes that generated incidents.  Or consider a parallel idea to evaluate the connected information from the service desk and monitoring events to detect patterns that point to business availability issues before they actually impact consumers.  

The key is to start thinking about it today and put plans in place to leverage big data as soon as possible. 

0 Kudos
About the Author

ScottKnox

I am Senior Product Manager for Service Manager. I have been manning the post for 10 years and working in various technical roles with the product since 1996. I love SM, our ecosystem, and our customers and I am committed to do my best to keep you appraised of what is going on. I will even try to keep you entertained as I do so. Oh and BTW... I not only express my creativity in writing but I am a fairly accomplished oil painter.

Comments
chuck_darst

Scott,

I love the post. You are in rare form (again).

A couple of comments

•  Big Data doesn't have to be a Big Headache. One of the powers of Service Anywhere is that is applies big data analytics, but it is embedded. You got the power (which makes me think of Bruce Almighty movie references).
  •  One of the great benefits is more proactive problem management (thinking ITIL) to go along with more efficient issue handling in general. Instead of waiting for a crisis to arise that requires a more structured address the root cause problem management, the service desk can see topic trends and patterns arising and address them proactively.

Chuck

ScottKnox

Great points Chuck. 

Using big data should not be hard and there will be a lot of applications such as problem management that can help our service delivery.

One other thing that your note reminds me of is the idea of Connected Intelligence. The point here is that big data is not only about finding information in a large lake of data. It also includes the concept of combining information sources and then looking at the "Connected Information" to look for patterns.  Consider the idea of "connecting" incident tickets with change tickets to find patterns that tell us about bad changes that generated incidents.  Or consider a parallel idea to evaluate the connected information from the service desk and monitoring events to detect patterns that point to business availability issues before they actually impact consumers.  

The key is to start thinking about it today and put plans in place to leverage big data as soon as possible. 

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more