IT Service Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: X-ray your datacenter : How CMDB improves monitoring and more

HPE-SW-Guest

Hi Matthew Legge,

From my experience of 7 years in CMDB and auto-discovery, I have to say that the investment is worth it. I’m not saying it’s easy, I’m saying that when you do create a complete discovery job, it will do the hard work for you from now on. My concept of CMDB is no manual work at all(!!).There are methods and processes that if you keep working with, it will make your work easier and will provide the best value of automation.  Just like any other tool, you invest your initial effort and you continue to maintain it as you go along. Speaking of integrations between CMDB and other 3rd party tools, you usually do it once and you don’t need to think about it anymore.

Eli

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPE-SW-Guest

This account is for guest bloggers. The blog post will identify the blogger.

Comments
Matthew Legge

How very true your comments are about the value that can be gained for an organisation in managing its IT services when it really knows what it is actually managing and the CMDB is the place to store all this information. 

Although we are very much bought into the CMDB approach I would currently consider myself a sceptic with regard to auto-discovery tools and how effective they can be in helping to automatically build your CI relationships. Is it just a lot of investment required for a lot of different tools which still leaves you with a lot of manual work that you would have had to do in the first place?

dkalian

I'm not surprised at all that a company didn't know what was in their data center.

Unfortunately we have had several false starts at implementing a CMDB over the years.  I'm hopefull we will dedicate resources to implementing one in the future.

ian bromehead

Connected Intelligence, which is part of HP Software's ITOM strategy, strikes again. In PlayTech's case, I know the overall solution they use has impressed their business customers. What more could a business ask for as RoI, than having an IT team that impresses its customers. Kudo's to Eli's vision and leadership.

HPE-SW-Guest

Hi Matthew Legge,

From my experience of 7 years in CMDB and auto-discovery, I have to say that the investment is worth it. I’m not saying it’s easy, I’m saying that when you do create a complete discovery job, it will do the hard work for you from now on. My concept of CMDB is no manual work at all(!!).There are methods and processes that if you keep working with, it will make your work easier and will provide the best value of automation.  Just like any other tool, you invest your initial effort and you continue to maintain it as you go along. Speaking of integrations between CMDB and other 3rd party tools, you usually do it once and you don’t need to think about it anymore.

Eli

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more