Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748228 Members
4045 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM reporting "A network interface has failed or redundancy has been lost"

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Re: HP SIM reporting "A network interface has failed or redundancy has been lost"

HP told us that another workaround (for VC environments) is to connect a dummy VLAN (internal only) to the unused NIC Ports but since this reduces the speed on the other ports this isn't a solution for us.

Fact is, that actually this is correct that HP SIM recognizes this as an failure since the system cannot differentiate between the NIC connectivity loss between a cable which isn't connected (and isn't needed) and a cable which is connected but defective...

In my opinion VMWare should add the option to ESXi to disable unused NICs like you can do this in Windows environments...

Regards,

Rmitchell_1
Advisor

I just did a fresh install of SIM 7.0 and am just using it for the Insight Control for vCenter plugin.  This still gives the same error.  We only use 1 10G pipe for each adapter rather than carving the 4 Flex10/Flexfabric adapters.  I once put in a support call...over a year ago...and got a hold of someone from developement and told them why this annoyed us.  He said other customers compained and they were working on a fix...this was 6.2 days.  I'm sorry but this is HPs issue.  An unconnected network adapter should not be flagged as an issue.  I'm in the same boat as other users when it comes to Rack servers...we don't use ILO and therefore we always get issues when using SIM for those esxi hosts...which is why we don't use SIM other than for the vmware stuff on blades.  C'mon HP...fix this crap!!!

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Some things I do not agree with, except the fact that it is annoying and should be solved...

This is not a HP only issue... In a Windows environment I can disable interfaces and the alerts go away... In ESXi I cannot disable interfaces... I think personally thatthis should be possible... If even Windows can do it?

Further I do not agree with your statement "An unconnected network adapter should not be flagged as an issue". Why do you want to do monitoring then?

For me it is really important that know that there is a network problem ,since it is another team that manages it...

Had several times that my servers were running on 1 NIC and teaming took over, I prefer however that both NICs are active...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Hi,

If you are using HP SIM v 7.0 to monitor your ESXi servers, you can disable the status of unconnected NICs:

- select the ESX

- go to Tools, --> Configuration Tool, --> ESXi Component Status

- select Run Now

- select the NICs you want to ignore the status and click on "Ignore Status"

Wait a few minutes and your server will be green again :-)

Patrick

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This solution makes indeed the server green again, but it is not ideal yet.

The server still gets orange via the ILO. The ILO still reports (on my Gen8 blade for sure - didnt test it yet on G6/7) an orange state saying that 1 or more NIC interfaces are down...

The search continues...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Simkill
Occasional Advisor

Do you really need SNMP pass thru on the iLO interface? I turned all mine off to avoid this annoying message by logging into the iLO and turning it off under administration.

steven Prinz
Frequent Visitor

It would be extremely helpful if HP could put functionality into SIM wherein the status of selected NIC(s) could be ignored. I'm not a programmer, but it seems like that would be a fairly easy feature to add. This seems like the more reasonable approach, since the solution would be applied to the hardware being monitored, no matter what operating system is installed. Making a change to the configuration of the installed operating system should not be required in order to monitor the hardware status. To me, disabling the unused NIC(s) in Windows is a workaround to the problem, not a solution.

Martin2000
Occasional Visitor

In SIM 7 I was able to disable monitor status of individual nics by:

In SIM console select ESX host -> "Tools & Links" tab -> "WBEM Health Inclusion Status" link -> select 1 or more nics and select "Ignore Status"

You will see Propagation State change to false.

drpixel
Respected Contributor

Hello,

The Major status for the iLO is often related to some major events in the IML of the server.

Just clear it (or mark them as repaired) and the status will come green again.

To verify it quickly, just perform an hardware status polling on the server (after you've "repaired" the IML)

Regards,

Christophe
zeroagemain
Frequent Advisor

I've been having this issue too and Martin2000's advice worked for me after an IC upgrade to 7.1, thanks.