Operating System - HP-UX
1753705 Members
4793 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding depot file to Ignite depot without loosing dependensies?

Michel Breugom
Occasional Advisor

Adding depot file to Ignite depot without loosing dependensies?

Hi Ignite users,

I hope one of you can give me tips to achieve what I would like
to be able to do with Ignite.

From one of our software suppliers we get a depot file with software
products. When I (interactively) install this depot using the command
swinstall -s /tmp/software.depot and select one of the products from this file it automatically marks other products based on the dependencies.

I would like to add this file to the depots on my ignite server to be
able to load our test machines from scratch with HP-UX, patch bundles and
products from the mentioned software.depot file.

So I added this software.depot file using the command:
swcopy -s /tmp/software.depot \* @ /var/opt/ignite/depots/Software/productx.depot

A swlist -l depot now shows me the new added depot. Also when I do an swinstall on this depot from a remote system the dependencies on the products in the depot still work.

For Ignite I need a configuration file to be able to select the products when installing a new client so I started the make_config command:
make_config -s /var/opt/ignite/depots/Software/productx.depot -c productx_cfg

Since there are appearantly no bundles in the depot I ran the command:
make_bundles -p -c productx /var/opt/ignite/depots/Software/productx.depot and thereafter the make_config command again.

I then had a config file and added this to the INDEX file. I saw the new created Category productx and the different products in the category. When I however select one of the products the dependencies do not work anymore.

Is there a way to add this depot file to the depots on my Ignite server and create a config file without loosing the dependencies?

Thanks for your suggesions.

Michel Breugom
3 REPLIES 3
Pratyush Paul_1
Valued Contributor

Hi -

Do this and it will fix your problem.

swcopy -s /tmp/software.depot ( hit return)

The pop-up window will ask you for a destination, specify some desitnation. Now it willl show you all the product. Please select all that applies and copy the stuff to the new depot /tmp/new_software

Once this is done, do the following

#swlist -s depot @ /tmp/new_software

It will list you all the product you copied.

#make_config -s /tmp/new_software -c /var/depot/new_software_cfg

#vi /var/opt/ignite/INDEX ( and include the new_software_cfg)
#instl_adm -T ( to check the INDEX file)

Then go ahead and ignite your system.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks

Pratyush

Die Hard
Ron Freeland
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michel

In your config file where you have the sw_sel of which every product you are selecting, add a corequisite line to add dependencies. You can add as many corequisite lines as you need. See man page of insl_adm (4).

Ron
Michel Breugom
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pratyush & Paul,

Thanks for your anwers but I still have some questions/comments:

Pratyush I followed your suggestion and during the swcopy the dependencies are used. After the swcopy I had to use the make_bundles before I could run make_config.
I created one bundle and am able to install this. But this method has the disavantage that you create a predefined bundle. I would like to make the selection of products including the dependencies using the ignite tool.

Ron, is it possible to derive the dependencies in some way from the software.depot file to use them in the configuration file for ignite?

Thanks again for your time/help,

Michel