Operating System - HP-UX
1754018 Members
7511 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Automating HP-UX Installation using IGNITE-UX

Jha_1

Automating HP-UX Installation using IGNITE-UX

I have a set of servers on which i have to install the HP-UX non-interactively.
An script will collect the users chice of OE and the hostname, and using "some" IGNITE-UX command will install the hp-ux on the requested system.

Is there any such ignite-ux command which could be called with suitable arguments so that whole installation process is non-interactive. Assume that i have depots of almost all the OE's

I need only command line based solutions.
5 REPLIES 5
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Jha

To start automatic, non-interactive installation, u can execute bootsys command
from the server side.

bootsys -a -v (i -configuration)-f client hostname

a -for automatic installation
i - for default configuarion for installing the client

thanks and regards

Sajjad Sahir
Jha_1

Thanks Sahir .. I have few more queries

1. Is it mandatory to have the details of all the client systems in the /etc/bootptab file. Can't I have a setup so that I can I can boot any client even if there is not entry in the bootptab file for the same.

2. What are INDEX files. And do I need to edit them when i setup the IGNITE server.
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Jha
-f option means it will forces ignite-ux to disregard and delete previous configuration
information was saved for a client duing the last installation.

u can define the default configuration from the ignite-ux server options menu(see it)or u can set it manually with a=true immediately following the closing of the a cfg standza in the /var/opt/ignite/index file

after u have initiated the installation, ignite-ux contacts, the client and extracts the hostname,ip address and default gateway to their original values. This installation configuaration is automatically saved, or over written if one exists , for this client and can be re-used the next time an installation is needed. for bootsys to function, access to the client using remsh is required.if remote shell is not available(remsh), the bootsys command prompts to u for the root password for the client.

a noninteractive installation with bootsys is an easy and quickway.
1.create the configuaration files that how u want the client to be installed
2.save the configuration file that u created
3. Add a cfg stanza to the /var/opt/ignite/index file ----which describes u custom configuration(regarding u index file question see this third point)
4.execute the bootsys command, specifying the custom configuration

thanks once again

Sajjad Sahir
Ramesh S
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

1. Is it mandatory to have the details of all the client systems in the /etc/bootptab file. Can't I have a setup so that I can I can boot any client even if there is not entry in the bootptab file for the same.

>> Yes, you can use it as anonymous clients.Using anonymous client booting on a network is useful when you have
many different systems that must be booted, installed, or recovered. It
relieves you from the task of configuring for each specific system and
eliminates the errors inherent in typing IP addresses and MAC
addresses. Such an error could cause IP addresses to be accidentally
assigned to more than one computer at a time.

PA-RISC Clients:
The /etc/opt/ignite/instl_boottab file is used to provide PA-RISC
systems with anonymous client booting.

IA Clients:
Itanium-based clients use DHCP to boot anonymously.

2. What are INDEX files. And do I need to edit them when i setup the IGNITE server.

>>This file is used to define the Ignite-UX configurations
and to define which config files are associated with each
configuration. See the ignite(5), instl_adm(4), and manage_index(1M) man pages for details.

Yes, you need to edit the index file with cfg stanza's for network archive & golden image.

Best Regards,
Ramesh
willsfrazer
Advisor

Hi,
I am looking for a fully automated ignite booting solution for HP UX Itanium servers. Can someone help me with configuration files and a standard way to do it for client as I do not have and can not have an Ignite client on target machine as it's a bare metal installation of OS.

Thanks,
Wills.