Operating System - HP-UX
1752800 Members
5495 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup-tape using Ignite + TAR

Backup-tape using Ignite + TAR

I want to create a backup-tape that can restore everything back to the same system (K380) in case of system failure.
I have 3 volume-groups: VG00, VG01 and VG02.
Would 'make_recovery -Av' do it or do I need to combine it with some TAR-command?
6 REPLIES 6
Sebastian Galeski_1
Trusted Contributor

Hello
There is new tool called make_tape_recovery
it do the same as make_recovery + backup other groups vg01,vg02 ...
read man make_tape_recovery

#make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0m

hope it help You

AFAIK Ignite backups can't span multiple tapes, so unless your VGs are small and your tape capacity v. large then you could run into problems. If you are using a DLT tape drive, make sure it is supported as a boot device for Ignite... (check the release notes)

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

jesper,

You are MUCH better off creating backups for each VG above VG00. Let make_tape_recovery do your vg00, and use something more robust than "tar". "tar" has it's limitations, like files greater than 2GB.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Generally speaking, make_recovery -A should get all of vg00 but not other VGs. I believe make_tape_recovery has additional features that allow backup of other VGs, BUT... you should limit Ignite backups to only vg00.

As Harry says, tar has a number of limitations and simply isn't a very good backup / restore tool.

When rebuilding a system, you should use Ignite to reload vg00. Then you can import the other VGs since they are not touched by the Ignite process (unless you tell Ignite to use one of the disks from a VG other than vg00 when recovering).

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Nick D'Angelo
Super Advisor

All,

Where does one find the make_recovery tool?
Always learning
Nick D'Angelo
Super Advisor

Disregard the last dolt question that I asked.

It comes on the ignite cd.

Always learning