4402 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Booting Ignite tape

Camacho
Advisor

Booting Ignite tape

Hello Everybody.

I have a hard disk damaged and I cannot start my UNIX box. I have an ignite tape, is it possible to start my server from ignite and start it in multiuser mode for my users to work meanwhile I purchase and install my new disk?
Regards
Camacho
6 REPLIES 6
nanan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Camacho
Ignite backup Tape just for recovery of OS
you have to replace the damaged disk to new one and boot with ignite backup tape to recover OS

I mean you can't run OS with tape

Regards
nanan
Camacho
Advisor

oh,oh
Thank very much.
I will have to wait... :)
Camacho
Advisor

Thank you Michael I'll try to do this.

Regards

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Why don't you try to boot off of you alternate first? Reboot, interupt the boot up process to get to the BCH. 'sea ipl' to locate the alternate bootup disk then type in 'bo p#' where # is the indice of the alternate.

If you have no alternate boot up disk but you do have an unmirrored working disk, then install the restore tape and interupt the automatic restore. Choose to manually install the O/S. You will be asked what disk do you want to use as your primary. Choose the working disk, the broken disk should not appear. Gather up all you details for installation, like gateway ip, hostname, host ip, NIS, etc. Your already configured files like /etc/hosts and /etc/passwd and /etc/lvmconf will be restored in this cloning process. But verify your LVM once up. File systems, vgs, etc.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Camacho
Advisor

Michael,

I tried to install my OS to another disk but it is protected against reconfiguration, besides I receive a message indicating that all information will be destroyed, So I cannot install it on any other alternate disk.

Upss...

Thank you again
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Well that's a major problem not to have a mirrored alternate O/S disk in vg00. You should have two. You can use your disk array if you need too.

You got plan for these things to happen. Now you'll have to wait for the primary to be replaced. When the primary is replaced follow the same directions as above and try for an automatice restore. This should work since the primary's HW address will be the same. That is, it will be the same if its replaced in the same slot as the old, bad primary disk. But if it doesn't, then choose the manual configuration.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Once up, look into getting an alternate boot disk so this won't happen again.

Good Luck mon ami.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law