9705 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I do this with ignite-ux?

K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Can I do this with ignite-ux?

ignite guru,
I only have one hp-ux server, model rp5405. Is it possible to take an ignite image of this server and store it on a linux server? The reason I asked is because this server only comes with dvd rom. There are no tape drive. Could someone let me know if it is possible to store an ignite image on a Linux server and would it be possible to restore from it? Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
7 REPLIES 7
Sritharan
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I do this with ignite-ux?

Hi,

I think it is posibble to do this by using
make_net_recovery.Read the manpage for this.

Give it a try.

Good Luck

Thanks & Regards
Sri
Known is a drop...unknown is an ocean -> quote from a movie
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

I don't think you can have a linux server running as an ignite server.
See this document on ignite which lists the supported platforms. You couldn't even use it with NFS mounted filesystem, as if you ever needed it, you would need to run the make_net_recovery from it.

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90767/B2355-90767_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90767/00/00/11-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90767/00/00/11-toc.html&searchterms=ignite&queryid=20030814-222309
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
It is perhaps possible to store the image on a linux server (with NFS) but Ignite must be running on HP-UX. Why not buy an external DAT drive, it is not expensive.
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

when you make an ignite image with make_sys_image

this image is a tar file. you can do whatever you want to with it. restoring from it is another issue.

I don't believe you can restore from this image sitting on a Linux box. but you can put it on tape aor dvd from there.
"Vision, is the art of seeing the invisible"
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

I do not think there exists a solution for your case. You can store the image of this HP server on another HP-UX server using make_net_recovery.

Hai
GK_5
Regular Advisor

Use make_net_recovery.
man make_net_recovery for more information.
IT is great!
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

A couple of comments on a couple of the replies.
NFS. You could certainly create the image on an NFS mounted file system. However, how would you recover from it. If you started a recovery to say resize file systems, you would lose the NFS mount when the system rebooted. Then you would not have access to the image.
If you were trying to recover a failed system from the image, again, you would not have the NFS mount.

As for make_sys_image being a tar file, true. Again, in the event of a system failure you would not be able to access it.

I agree with one of the other replies. Buy a DAT drive. A used one can be had cheap.