Operating System - HP-UX
1752418 Members
6521 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can I ignite the same server but different size of internal disks?

hpuxmagic
Advisor

Can I ignite the same server but different size of internal disks?

I have a rx4640 server and HPUX 11iv3 has been built on 2 internal 146GB disks. If I wanted to replace these 2 disks with 2 internal 300GB size disks, can I use ignite image to recover the system onto these two 300GB disks?

I believe there are 300GB, 15K internal disks on the market, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks!

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to to HP-UX > Ignite-UX - HP Forums Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can absolutely do this! 

As you are recovering from the Ignite backup you can resize your logical volumes to take advantage of the larger disks as well.

As far as disk drives for this server are concerned, the largest I can find are 146 GB.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>can I use ignite image to recover the system onto these two 300GB disks?

One thing to be careful of is typically you use ignite to only back up the system and not user data.  So are both disks backed up?

hpuxmagic
Advisor

>As far as disk drives for this server are concerned, the largest I can find are 146 GB.

Please advice:

How and where I could find the information on whether or not there are 300GB internal drives that I can replace 146GB on RX4640?

Thanks!

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The secret word for HP servers in Google is "quickspecs" as in:  hp rx4640 quickspecs

Here are all the details: 300 GB 15K RPM Hot Plug Ultra320 SCSI Low Profile Drive p/n: AD261A

Found at:  rx4640 QuickSpecs

Bill Hassell, sysadmin