Operating System - HP-UX
1753822 Members
8747 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I switch to shell on my ignite client?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sunny_Zhang
Frequent Advisor

Can I switch to shell on my ignite client?

Happy New Year, all HP experts!

I understand WINSTALLFS is ram filesystem for IGNITE-UX. Is there anyway I can get into shell on my HP client instead of the Ignite ui when it is net booting from Ignite server?

Also under opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.23/, there are several files: INSTCMDS, RECCMDS, SYSCMDS, INSTCMDSIA, RECCMDSIA, etc. Is there anyway I can untar those files?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can I switch to shell on my ignite client?

Yes, it can be done. I wanted to do this a month ago and found another post that helped me do it. I created a tape, but a network image shouldn't be too different.

Look at this thread and thanks to Michael Roberts' post

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=957297

-denver
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

I may have misunderstood... w/ IUX you should be able to specify "control_from_server=false" adn "run_ui=true". then push to a recovery shell... use the info from the other post if you need another way to boot _directly_ into a shell and bypass the iux menu. :)

-denver
Sunny_Zhang
Frequent Advisor

Denver,

Thanks for such super fast response! Also should thanks Michael! But I guess the notes from Michael only answer my second question related to extracting SYSCMDS. How about switch to shell on my ignite client? Thanks!
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

What exactly do you mean by "switch to shell"?

After the client boots and loads the IUX menu, you should have an option to run a recovery shell. If this isn't exactly what you're looking for, could you give a few more details on what it is you want from your IUX image...

Either use the IUX menu and select the option to push to a shell or use Michaels info... in the config.local use a pre_config_cmd to run /sbin/sh...

Are you looking to automate something? More details on your task would help.

-denver
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Sunny_Zhang
Frequent Advisor

Denver,

"switch to shell" means I can get into root "/" of WINSTALLFS on my ignite client, so I can fire commands manually, such as net_pre_conf, get_disk_layout etc. under /sbin.

I did try it by creating my WINSTALLFS by replace ignite's init by system's init, and create my inittab. Also copy several utilities and libraries I needed. I did boot into my WINSTALLFS's root "/", but I have to manually configure network from ioscan. So I guess there is much better way to do so without adding too much to ram filesyste. Thanks!
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

ok, so you've already got it booting into a shell... have you considered putting your commands and libs in the SYSCMDS file, then setting up pre_config_cmd entries to do the loadfile? Rathern than modify the WINSTALLFS try the SYSCMDS and pre_config_cmd option. Load all the files and libs and even a script that could configure the network and whatever else it is you need... to make sure you get all libs needed for any of your binaries being loaded... `ldd binary` to list libs you should include.

You may find that putting your files in SYSCMDS is a bit easier since all you need to do is gunzip/tar to make changes.

hope this helps,
-denver
Sunny_Zhang
Frequent Advisor

Yes, that is what I am trying to do after reading your first two replies. But I am not sure when config.local will be loaded to client, and how it is work? For example, if I added system init and inittab to SYSCMDS, and updated config.local, is this init will automatically run by client, or I have to issue another reboot?

Sunny_Zhang
Frequent Advisor

Denver,

After playing with recovery shell option from ignite ui menu, I get into shell. :-) Yes, you are right. Please forgive me that I didn't understand completely at the first time since I am a newbie on HP-UX.

Now I just need to figure out how to automatically get into recovery shell without any prompting on my ignite client. Do you have any idea? Thanks!