108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can this be done?

SOLVED
Go to solution
jason thompson_1
Frequent Advisor

Can this be done?

I have a 9000/800 K460 box hpux 10.20 and a 9000/800 I70 box also 10.20. The K460 has ignite installed. The I70 has a corrupt kernel and will not boot beyond CM> (command mode) and the ISL. There is not a backup of the I70 and the vmunix.prev in /stand is crap as well. Can the 460 be used to make a bootable dds that will work on the I70 and allow me to rebuild the kernel? If so does anyone have a procedure for this?
What's that smell?
12 REPLIES 12
Vicente Sanchez_3
Respected Contributor

Re: Can this be done?

Hi jason,

Has you tried to boot from the recovery cd?

If you can boot from it, there is a boot option that create a standard kernel vmunix.

Once the machine has booted, you can try to rebuild the original kernel.

Hope this help.
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

The K's and I's has different architecture, though I've never tried this before I'm sure it would not work. You probably stand a better chance if you had another "closer" model like I50, G50, etc. With no backup, it's going to be hard, if you have some kind of backup you can still boot from the recovery cd and restore the kernel ..
One last chance is do you have any "possible" kernel backed up apart from the standard vmunix.prev ? Sometimes I make a copy of my vmunix to vmunix.good to make sure that's un-touched.
jason thompson_1
Frequent Advisor

The box in question does not have a cdrom drive attached. However, I do have a DVD drive I could attach to it. The only issue I might then have is how to determine the hardware path to the DVD drive for booting.
What's that smell?
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

hook up the dvd... interrupt the reboot at the 10 seconds prompt. Run the sea command to find bootable devices. You should be able to pull it out from the other devices based on hardware path.

If you have no idea, boot the machine once, search for bootable devices, then shut the machine down, hook up the dvd and repeat. The new device in the list will be your target

Ted
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Jason,
I agree that you will not be able to boot from a K-class kernel. Have you tried interrupting the boot sequence and pointing it to vmunix.prev? Assuming that you have neer rebuilt your kernel both manually and incorrectly, you should have a copy of your last kernel in /stand/vmunix.prev.
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

You can at least use the make_recovery tape to boot the box to a recovery shell. It's quite the same as what you see when you boot from CD/DVD:

- boot from tape
- interrupt installation, when prompted
- select: Run a recovery shell
- select: d. Replace only the kernel on the root file system.

Then follow the instructions...

Regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
jason thompson_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info Ted. However I have been unable to run the sea command as I get either an illegal option or unrecognized command returned.
What's that smell?
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

sorry.. the sea command (or search) will only run from the ISL... if you are unable to interrupt the boot sequence at the prompted ".... press any key within 10 seconds" message, then sea will do no good. Are you able to get to ISL... interrupt the boot process before it attempts to load a kernel?

Ted
jason thompson_1
Frequent Advisor

Yep, I can get to the ISL, however I must chose to boot from the primary or alternate path before the ISL is presented.
What's that smell?