5738 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can we backup/restore system with volume group on two external disk

Atul Goel
Frequent Advisor

Can we backup/restore system with volume group on two external disk

We have system with two extenal disk.
And we need to take backup and perform full system restore of this system.
One of the volume group is on both disk that is it is partially present on one disk and
Occupies second full disk say it is C. On the first disk on which we have partial group C there is
another volume group B on rest of the disk
The physical partioning of the disk was carried out by using the idisk command.
Thing is when i take backup using make_tape_recovery it does not include the group, which is
present on both disk, in the archive.
And when i restore the system back using the restore the group B occupies full system disk and does
not have physical partition for C.
So please let us know whether it is possible to backup such kind of partioning using make_tape_recovery or not ?
If possible then how can we do that.?
7 REPLIES 7
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

Hello friend.

Can you post here the command you are using to make the make_tape_recovery ?

You coul try to include
-x inc_entire=vgxx(volume group name), in the command you are using
Knowledge is power.
Atul Goel
Frequent Advisor

i am using following command
make_tape_recovery ├в x inc_entire=vg00 ├в x inc_entire=vg01 inc_entire=vg_abc ├в I ├в v ├в a
/dev/rmt/0mn

Also, when i execute this command it clearly mentions that it is not including vg_abc in archive. Can somebody let me know how to check the reason of this discrimination made by HP UX for this inoccent volume group ;-)
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Why it would exclude a particular VG, I have no idea, but I can tell you that you're trying to do something that the tool was not really designed to do.

Ignite is a Disaster Recovery tool desgined to recover your root VG (including your backup software, which should be in /opt) in case of disaster. It is not a backup tool. The intent is to be able to rebuild vg00, then run your regular backup/restore software to recover the rest of your data.

Pete

Pete
Atul Goel
Frequent Advisor

Yes Pete you are quite right.
So can you please elaborate on the backup/ restore mechanism.
We are using data protector for backup and restore mechanism.
After your comment we are planning to make tape for vg00 using the make_tape_recovery command and for rest of voulume group planning to make a disk image. Hopefully that should work. Please do comment on this strategy whether this should work or not and whether there can be better ways of doing that. Thanks once again for your valuable comments
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

# make_tape_recovery -I -x inc_entire=vg00

This command will make an image of vg00. It will also make the install interactive. It's a nice option in case you need to resize any filesystems or make any other changes during a recovery.

You can use OVDP (Data Protector) to backup the other vg's. I am not sure what data is there, so what and how you back them up will be up to you. In a DR scenario you would restore the ignite. recreate your vg's, filesystems, and mount them. Then use OVDP to restore the data.

As a backup you may want to write a script that gets your kernel params, network settings, lvm info, etc. So at least you wouldn't have to completely start from scratch if your ignite failed.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Actually, instead of re-inventing the wheel. Just download and install cfg2html.

http://come.to/cfg2html

You need a yahoo account. Just subscribe to the group and then you can get the download. I always found that to be irritating, but the utility is really nice. It will provide a nice manifest of your machines current setup.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Atul Goel
Frequent Advisor

Court i was unable to open http://come.to/cfg2html this link. And i feel that last reply of yours was not intended for my thread.
Secondly for the backup restore can you please let me know that will not disk image object copies of the rest of the volume group will work in my case. That is instead of making backup of each file if i make a diskimage object of rest of my partitions and restore them back will not that work.
Or do i have to take simple backup of normal files and disk image backup of raw partition.
Eagerly waiting for your reply