4633 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cisco "ip-helper" relayof bootp in place of Ignite boot-helpers

David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

Cisco "ip-helper" relayof bootp in place of Ignite boot-helpers

Hi,

We have a large network with multiple VLAN's and HP machines distributed widely. I'm looking into workarounds for the boot-helper setup (it's a lot lighter in principal).

Has anyone out there used Cisco relays of bootp with the ip-helper command? If so does it work with Ignite servers?

Best regards,
David

7 REPLIES 7
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Yes, this will work OK. The bootp ip-helper can echo the UDP requests onto other networks. Normally, UDP packets are considered to be noise and left on the local subnet. I would add it to one router, then use a test machine to see if it can boot and install across the router.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

Fantastic, thanks for the fast reply!!! I'm just co-ordinating with the network team to make this happen. Hopefully should have a test completed by close of business CEST.
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

Well, this still isn't going as well as expected... we can see the bootp packets arriving on the ignite server when we run boot lan but it just doesn't get any further than that.
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

I'm gonna open a support call with HP because if Microsoft can manage it with RIS the HP have gotta be able to do it. I mean HP-UX is an "enterprise" OS, is it not?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It sounds like a config issue with Ignite/UX, possibly the setup of 'spare' IP addresses needed by Ignite when booting a remote system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

When xou say spare IP addresses... what *exactly* do you mean? We have set the IP address and mac address of the test client in /etc/opt/ignite/instl_boottab... if that's what you mean?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

COrrect. When you setup the Ignite network server, you setup IP and MAC addresses used to get the remote system to complete the boot process. Check syslog to see if there are any boot error messages and also the Ignite logfiles in /var/opt/ignite.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin