New Discussion юеВ

Re: Claify Ignite on rx3600 running HPUX 11.31

SOLVED
Go to solution
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Claify Ignite on rx3600 running HPUX 11.31

Hello Guru's,
We have a new server we are setting up. I will be testing the ignite procedures as part of our disaster recovery plan. The rx3600 has a direct attached Ultrium-3 drive. I have made a few ignite tapes, and now I am preparing for the recovery. My question: the notes I am looking at say to "Insert the HP-UX installation media disk 1 into the CD/DVD-ROM drive." Do I really need to do this, given the fact we have a direct attached tape drive? I would presume all I need to do is to boot from the previously created ignite tape...but I want to make 100% sure since we rarely do this procedure.
Thanks...colin
6 REPLIES 6
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Colin,

You *should* be OK, as LTO (Ultrium) is a bootable media. Your instructions may be for DLT tape media, which is not bootable; which is why those systems usually came with a DDS option, so that you could use yer LTO fer storage and yer DDS fer bootin'. And, yes, near the end of the day, I become a southerner, once again... :-)

Anways, I'm just guessing you're using DLT instructions, your LTO should work fine from what I've read about which media types are bootable.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Hi John,
Yes, the other time I did this was on our RP5470, running 11.11, with a direct attached Ultrium-1 drive. Now, with our rx3600 and our direct attached Ultrium-3 drive...I'm thinking we should be fine (hopefully)!
Thanks...colin
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Colin:

Native tape boot for Itanium servers is supported with and after Ignite C.6.8 *if* your SCSI firmware supports it. See the firmware requirements table in:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01942633/c01942633.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Hi James,
Thanks for that very informative link. Our brand new rx3600 is on Ignite C.7.10.472. I see from the table in that document that we are ok to boot from the tape. Points assigned.
Thanks...colin
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

James is right about the SCSI condition. Lots o' issues with SCSI on the newer HPUX systems. Must be newest cards and firmware, or the system won't see it. Makes a whole bunch of old tapes, direct attach drive enclosures, etc that I have kept around not work any longer as it is not supported anylonger. Check your interface cards(U320 only) as well as your devices themselves.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks everyone