New Discussion юеВ

Re: Clone archived client to new box

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Clone archived client to new box

Hi,

I am trying to discover how to push a network recovery archive of a client I have taken to a new box. I have setup my golden image server and have created a depot of the installation disks which I see under /var/opt/ignite/depot which conatins Rel_B.11.11 and recovery_cmds.

This works fine if I want reinstall the archived client I took the image of but if I put the core OS disk in and say boot lan or boot lan from PDC I get a default setup not the client archive I want.

So for example if I had two diffrent client recovery archives one for Informix and the other for Oracle and a user wants a new build the same as the Informix client archive how do I get this image to the new box.

This has been completed in the past by me doing a make_tape_recovery of one server and then taking that tape to the new box and installing then changing the details in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf for the network to be correct.

Regards,
Simon
5 REPLIES 5
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Simon ,

Is your /var/opt/ignite/INDEX file properly
configured . Ignite menu displays the archives configured in the INDEX file for selction when boot from Ignite Server.

Regards ,
bl.

Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I have enclosed my INDEX file configuration which you can see. The clients under /var/opt/ignite/clients are as followed :

drwxrwxrwx 3 bin bin 1024 Jan 18 14:42 0x00306E06842A
drwxrwxrwx 3 bin bin 1024 Jan 16 16:00 0x00306E0C2AFD
drwxrwxrwx 3 bin bin 1024 Jan 17 09:50 0x00306E0C4A79
lrwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 14 Jan 18 14:32 mars-> 0x00306E06842A
lrwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 14 Jan 16 15:45 Jupiter -> 0x00306E0C2AFD
lrwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 14 Jan 17 09:42 orange -> 0x00306E0C4A79

Cheers,
Simon
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Recovery images are usually setup under the /var/adm/ignite/clients directory.

The path is specific to the MAC address of the recovered machine, with a CINDEX file in there to setup the configuration for a re-install.

So this CINDEX file is likely there for the recovery image taken. When you try to get a different machine to see it, it does not, because the MAC address path is machine-specific.

To make this image visible to a different machine, copy the CINDEX file to an appropriate ../client/ directory for the new machine.
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Simon ,

I could see this is configured with only one image . You should add similar config for the available images that you have.

For Example,
cfg "HP-UX B.11.11 Default" {
description "This selection supplies the default system configuration that HP supplies for the B.11.11 release."
"/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/config"
"/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/hw_patches_cfg"
"/var/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/core_cfg"
"/var/opt/ignite/config.local"
}

cfg "Informix Image " {
description "This selection supplies the default system configuration that HP supplies for the B.11.11 release."
"/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/config"
"/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/hw_patches_cfg"
"/var/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/informix_cfg"
"/var/opt/ignite/config.local"
}

#################3

Now copy "/var/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/core_cfg" to "/var/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/informix_cfg" and add the path to your Informix Golden Image in this file.

thx,
bl.

Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Hi lalb,

Great this gives me something to work on.

Cheers,
Simon