New Discussion юеВ

Clone on different HW

SOLVED
Go to solution
Delcho Tuhchiev
Frequent Advisor

Clone on different HW

Hi,

I've an instalation w HP-UX 11.23 on rx2120 server. I want to restore it on rx6600 server.
I've already create net_recovery image via Ignite serever but I think there will be some issues when try to restore the system on new machine. The new machine is with SAS disks and mybe i will have problem with "drivers for new disk type". Perheps it is needed to install some patch and soft. bundles befor I make the recovery image?
Is anybody here tried to do similar restore?
8 REPLIES 8
Pupil_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Clone on different HW

try ignite-ux Faq. Question 11-10.

http://docs.hp.com/en/IUX/faq.html#d0e4189

There is always something new to learn everyday !!
Delcho Tuhchiev
Frequent Advisor

It's clear about the exact procedure for restor e with Ignite. My question is: Is it needed to install any aditional software on 1st machine, befor create recovery image.
I think it's needed but i don't know what exactly to install. I think the cloned OS will not find any disks because the 1st machine is with normal SCSi disks and the 2nd(new machine) is with SAS disks.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

This could be the problem.

You can try to install all the latest patch bundles.

The SAS disks needs the serialscsi driver bundle

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=SerialSCSI-00

but I doubt if you can successful install it on a system without SAS.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

... just in case the new server has the P400 smartarray installed, you'll need this too:

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=AD397A

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Cloning from disperaging products and even more so from one product with limited HW to another with different harware or driver needs will be an issue.

All in all it boils down to a try it, learn from it, repeat it.

My guess is you may get the image to install but you will definately need to install the add-on drivers and then another run with you latest patch bundle.

How much custom config do you have from the rx2120 ? If you spend 2 hours with a cold install and 1 hour updating the configs it is a better use of your time that spending 6 hours trying to get this to work and never being sure you did not miss something or having some weird issue later.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I agree with Tim.

3 hours install and config sounds much better than 6 hour trail and give up + 3 install.

;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Need to know what version of 11.23 you started with. If the 11.23 version fully supports the rx6600 models, you will have a better chance.

Because the models are so different (SAS, etc.) there could be some issues.
Delcho Tuhchiev
Frequent Advisor

I've just installed with no problem the SAS drivers, the RAID drivers and CommonIO (latest release) on 2110 machine. everything works OK for now. On monday I will try to restore the OS on rx6600 machine and I will post the result.
As for the suggestion to prepare a new (clear install) there is a lot of things that is needed to be configuret. On the server I've installed and configured Oracle RAC, Oracle CRS and a lot of other things. So I will leave the variant with fresh installation as backup.
Thanks to All of you.