New Discussion юеВ

Re: Clone system to new hardware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Clone system to new hardware

Hi,

We have to move a "server" to new hardware. We want to move a rp4410 to an rp5430. I read that we can just "make_net_recovery" and create an image of the rp4410 and dump it onto the rp5430 by selecting CLONE SYSTEM TO NEW HARDWARE. I have an image now of the rp4410 and just wanted to test how this is going to work by going into the menus of ignite. So I booted off the lan with "boot lan install" and after going into Advanced Installation, I got to the itools menu. In the Basic menu, I can select an image but it only offers the images created for this system. When I actually clone I will be booting from the 5430 and will want to access the 4410's image files...how can I do that?

Secondly, where is the "Clone System to new Hardware" option? I couldn't find it anywhere within the itools menu.

Thanks for the help,
Sally
4 REPLIES 4
DCE
Honored Contributor
Solution

The Clone System to new Hardware option is on the basic tab under the additional button

in order to ignite the server with make_net_recovery, you need to back up the old server to an ignite server, then boot the new server over the network using the old system image

see the ignite manual for details
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Found the "cloning to new hardware" thanks.

I have made an image of the 4410, but where can I tell ignite to create this new server with that image? In the Basic menu, the only options that I have are old images of this server (5430)...it doesn't give me an option for another server's image.

Thanks for the quick response!
Sally
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as a quick response I would say:
check where you've stored your images (../archives), there you've two possibilities:
- overwrite your old image with the new one (maybe with a backup of the old one)
or
- add your new image in your config file, it could be from archives ../data
You have to copy the structure of your current configuration

For detail, all infos you'll find here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-6440/index.html

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
DCE
Honored Contributor

Actually you will have to create a "duplicate" ignite image on the ignite server for the new server to successfully install. Ignite is MAC address based so the following steps are necessary

1. Add an entry in /etc/hosts file for the new system
2. Run the Ignite Program
3. Select the Add New Client for Recovery task.
4. Enter the appropriate host name
Accept all messages
5. Copy the CINDEX file and recovery directory from the ├в good├в system to the ├в new├в system directory.
5a. cd /var/opt/ignite/clients/├в good├в system
5b. find CINDEX recovery | cpio ├в pdvma ../new system
6. Edit the /etc/exports file to allow access to both the ├в good├в and ├в new├в systems as follows:
6a. Append the ├в new├в system name to end of the ├в good├в system name line.
Example
Original
/var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/frodo -anon=2,access=frodo
Modified
/var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/frodo -anon=2,access=frodo:samwise

Export the modified information
exportfs -av

Now you can boot off the "new" image