1753760 Members
4913 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure HP-UX bootp server to respond PXE request

gandhikarthi
Occasional Advisor

Configure HP-UX bootp server to respond PXE request

Is it possible to configure my install server (ignite ux server) to respond the pxe boot request from proliant server ? I am trying to use already existing bootp server (hp-ux) to respond a pxe request to install a redhat linux machine? I copied pxelinux.0 and setup /etc/bootptab in hp-ux machine, but prolaint server is not getting any response from bootp server ? Is there any compatability issue ? Any suggestion? Any one tried ?
5 REPLIES 5
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

PXE uses DHCP, not bootp.
gandhikarthi
Occasional Advisor

As of I know Itanium servers are sending PXE requests and bootp with ignite server responds the request. Kindly clarify if I am wrong ?
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

Now that I think about it, bootp alone should work for PXE, though it has a few limitations that DHCP doesn't. I've never tried network booting a Proliant so I don't know if the PXE boot firmware really works properly (some NIC vendors ship boot code that only partially works).
gandhikarthi
Occasional Advisor

The experiment is successful. Proliant machine can able to pxe boot (pxelinux) from the bootp server running in HP-UX. There was a problem with tftp, It was getting time out. I included timeout value in /etc/inetd.conf like below.

tftp dgram udp wait root /usr/lbin/tftpd -T 999 tftpd\
/opt/ignite /var/opt/ignite /opt/ignite/boot

and tftp server needs PHNE_36217 patch to enable the tsize option.

Now a proliant machine can be installed with Redhat/suse linux using the bootp server running in HP-UX machine.
Jon Ward_3
Advisor

Glad to hear you got it working. I assume you hardcoded the MAC address of the ProLiant and bootfile name into the bootptab file. In which case you are technically BOOTP-ing not PXE booting. Accomplishes the network based install but it is significantly less flexible than a full PXE implementation. BOOTP is the grandfather of PXE.