Operating System - HP-UX
1752369 Members
6363 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Correct way to install patches via Ignite?

Cory Zito

Correct way to install patches via Ignite?

Hi all,

I am working on setting up a couple of Ignite builds and am running into issues with the correct way to do patches, and am wondering how the rest of you are dealing with this issue. I have read the ace_hwe_setup document in /opt/ignite/share/doc/, and it seems out of date, and incomplete on this issue.

The install media I am working with is HP-UX 11.00 Core OS November 1999. Ignite is version B.3.3.116, and I have the March 2001 XSWHWCR, XSWGR, and Online Diagnostic depots handy as well. I currently looking at a build for N4000-36 machines as well as C240+ machines, all are 64 bit.

1st: I am using swremove to rip out the old XSWGR from Nov99 in my core set, since it seems silly to install it when I have the XSWHWCR and XSWGR sets from March of this year.

2nd: I have tried copying the XSWHWCR and XSWGR into my core set using swcopy, and then doing a cleanup -d to make sure that everything is up to date. This seems to work, but doesn't install the correct patches for layered products. I.E. My servers are using OnlineJFS, but the Critical Patch PHKL_22208 isn't tagged and installed by default.

3rd: My ideal would be loading the patches separately so I can easily update the patches without playing around with my core depot. I tried changing the load_order=6 on the XSWHWCR
patch, ripping out the Nov99 patches from the core install, and igniting so that the XSWHWCR patches would load after the main software. This seemed to work except that it gave an Error about not being able to resolve dependencies for patch PHKL_22208 (This was on a C240+ that isn't even being installed with OnlineJFS, I haven't yet tested it on an N4000)

4th: To install the SCR & DMI kit (B6816AA) I need to install DCE/9000 kits(B6192AA and B6733AA) I then need PHSS_20446 an additional patch not included in XSWHWCR or XSWGR.

This makes my requirements look like this:
Install Base OS
Install Most Bundled Application Software
Install Patches Required to Load Any Software
Install Additional Bundled Application Software
Install XSWHWCR/XSWGR patch sets to cover all
products on machine.
Run configuration scripts to set everything up

Is there any way to simplify this?
Is this beyond what Ignite is capable of doing?
I would rather not create a golden image if possible.
Am I full of **** and missing the obvious solution?

Thanks,

-Cory
1 REPLY 1
magnus linner
Advisor

Re: Correct way to install patches via Ignite?

Hi,

I do not have "the perfect solution", but i have a solution that works pretty well.

* Do not remove the patch bundles that comes with the Core OS.
Leave the Core OS as it is.
If you remove those you can end up with filesets that will not be configured just installed ( swlist -l fileset -a state | grep installed )

* Copy all your patches (XSWGR and PHSS_20446) to a depot and create your own patch bundle with make_bundles and create a configuration file for that bundle. Set the load_order to a high number so the patch bundle is the last thing to be loaded.
Run the Ignite command fix_patches to solve the dependencis problem.
I do not think it is supported to run make_config on a patch bundle.
Here is the header of my patch bundle config file:

sw_source "/var/spool/sw/patch/" {
source_type = "NET"
sd_server = "192.168.1.12"
sd_depot_dir = "/var/spool/sw/patch/"
source_format = SD
sd_command_line = " -x patch_filter=*.* -x patch_match_target=true Bundle1"
load_order = 11
}