New Discussion юеВ

Creating Recovery Tape Image on Ignite Server, not Client

SOLVED
Go to solution
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating Recovery Tape Image on Ignite Server, not Client

Ok. Here is summarization from the doc.

make_medialif -f /opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.11/config \ -f /var/tmp/myOSarchive.cfg -f /var/tmp/depot_cfg \ -l /var/tmp/lifvol -r B.11.11

To set run_ui and control_from_server variables using instl_adm to TRUE and FALSE, execute the following steps:

Create a temporary configuration file, enter:

instl_adm -d -F /var/tmp/lifvol > /var/tmp/cfg

Open /var/tmp/cfg for editing.

Add or change the run_ui variable.

For an interactive installation, set run_ui=TRUE. For a noninteractive installation, set run_ui=FALSE.

When run_ui is false, no interaction occurs and the installation proceeds according to all the configuration information provided to Ignite-UX.

Add or change the control_from_server variable.

To control the installation from the Ignite-UX server, set control_from_server=TRUE. An attempt is made to contact the server.

Check the syntax of your changes to avoid writing errors to the installation file system, enter:

instl_adm -T -f /var/tmp/cfg

Write the modified temporary configuration file into the LIF volume, enter:

instl_adm -F /var/tmp/lifvol -f /var/tmp/cfg

Verify your changes, enter:

instl_adm -d -f /var/tmp/lifvol

mt -t /dev/rmt/c0t3d0DDS1n rew
dd if=/var/tmp/lifvol of=/dev/rmt/c0t3d0DDS1n obs=2k
dd if=/var/tmp/myOSarchive.gz of=/dev/rmt/c0t3d0DDS1n obs=10k
mt -t /dev/rmt/c0t3d0DDS1n rew
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

OK, so where does the myS0archive.gz come from?

My images as created by Ignite look more like 2006-10-07,21:30.

Any idea if these are gzipped tar format already?

The directions don't seem to match up with a fairly typical Ignite installation.
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

My images have all been created with "make_net_recovery.sh" FYI. Thanks.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Refer the document attached where you would find a procedure to create a bootable recovery tape using "make_net_recovery" archive.

I guess you were looking to have such option within Ignite-UX server funcationality ( GUI or one step command) I do agree with you as I think this would make the task simplified instead of following those steps.

I guess adding such features would make the IG-UX product more versatile.
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

That is what I was looking for (I think, I haven't tested it yet).

Nobody ever answered my question about simply attaching a tape drive to the client in question. Would that create basically the same thing as above if I then ran a "Create Tape Recovery Archive" from the Ignite server?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Yes, both ways achieves the same task.

The only differnce is in one case you are creating the tape archive from the client with tape drive attachedand in other case you are creating the tape archive of the client from the IG-UX server with tape drive attached.
Craig Johnson_1
Regular Advisor

OK, I tried it using the server to create a tape remotely on the client, then installed from that onto another box. It didn't work - I got very little of what I expected to be installed. So, I am trying the instructions as stated above to manually create a tape.

One thing, on our setup, the net_recovery images are stored in .../images/hostname... rather than in /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/... The images in .../images are huge, while a few that for whatever reason got put in the latter are quite tiny. I am going to use the one from .../images... when creating the tape. Hopefully this works better.