108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Custom Bootable CD

Kamen.
Occasional Contributor

Custom Bootable CD

Hello Guys,
sorry for worst english at first.
This is not exactly a qustion, rather than explanation.
I'm writing this to share my expiriance in field of customizing ignite-ux make_media_install cretation. Today I has a job to create HP-UX demolition CD. After searching the forums I found nothing about, how to erase easily as posible, all data on all the disks installed in. Method which i found most reliable, is to customize RAM disk image which is run by installable HP-UX media.
To do this you should have ignite-ux installed, either client or server.
You should mount one of the /opt/ignite/boot/Rel_B.11.31/*INSTALLFS. Nothing treaky here. Create logical volume big enought to place all you custom commands and software. You should mind for which release (11.XX) and architecture (32,ia,64v,64w) your customizations are. For example in my scenario I should make image for Itanium based architecture and 11.31.

> ll /opt/ignite/boot/Rel_B.11.31/IINSTALLFS
>-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 67108864 Feb 23 13:17 IINSTALLFS

Because we use 32M PE size i should create 64M logical volume.

>lvcreate -n ramdisk -L 64M vg00

Then copy contents of the IINSTALLFS image onto fresh created lv.

>dd if=/opt/ignite/boot/Rel_B.11.31/IINSTALLFS of=/dev/vg00/ramdisk

It's time to mount it. I'm using existing SD_CDROM.Hang me if i'm wrong :).

>mount /dev/vg00/ramdisk /SD_CDROM

Do your customizations now. To achive my goal, i have to change /SD_CDROM/etc/inittab with my new one. I just replaced lines where init spawns "launch" command which is used to make insf and to lead you in your instalation, with my custom script. If you want to see the script,find it attached.

Then umount the lv ramdisk, dd it to the new INSTALLFS file. Please be carefull and try not to replace you existing IINSTALLFS with new one. After you finish this, execute make_media_install ... and have fun with your custom install cd.

I'll be glad if you find this one usefull.

2 REPLIES 2
mobidyc
Trusted Contributor

Hello,
you could set instl_adm with the following variable:

clean_all_disks = boolean
Setting this to true causes the installation process to write over all disks, even those that are not
configured for a file system. Its purpose is to remove prior file system information and make all
the unused disks appear as "new".
This keyword should almost always be left as the default of false.

source : http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5992-5839/5992-5839.pdf

Regards,
Cedrick Gailllard
Best regards, Cedrick Gaillard
Kamen.
Occasional Contributor

Yes indeed, if you do not have a customer who wants to follow security recommendations regarding data removal. However its look useful. Thank you very much for your replay.