108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D390 11.0 install - no lan drivers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tyler Durden
Occasional Contributor

D390 11.0 install - no lan drivers?

Using the June 2001 media, I did a cold install of 64-bit 11.0 on a D390. Although I explicitly selected the LAN drivers (J3515A, J3516A, ie, btlan4) from the Ignite-UX screen, when the install was done coping files and rebooted it said gave me the error:
ERROR: Could not apply the software selection "J3515A"; it is not
available from depot or root "loopback:/".
ERROR: Could not apply the software selection "J3516A"; it is not
available from depot or root "loopback:/".

And now, of course, there is no LAN driver in the kernel, so I cannot ping to or from this box.

Even worse, swinstall refuses to run, so I have to reinstall from scratch.

Any ideas on how to reinstall *and* get the LAN to work?

Note: due to management incompetence, this is the only version of the install media we have.

Thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: D390 11.0 install - no lan drivers?

Your D class should have a built in 10Mb lan card as well as any possible add on cards which may run at 100Mb. So, to get started use the 10Mb lan port. Just do a plain install - dont select any extra lan software (im not sure the software for a 100Mb lan card is on your install CD anyway - its licensed software which means its on your application CD's). So after the install you will be up and running on the 10Mb card, then you can look for the 100Mb lan software to install so you can move to your 100Mb lan card. You will need a codeword to install the driver for your 100Mb lan card from your application CD's or you may be able to download it direct from itrc.hp.com under software update manager (SUM) if its on your support contract.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Re: D390 11.0 install - no lan drivers?

Hi!

You should be able to get swinstall running, even without networking if you configure your local hostname as lookback.

Example /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost loopback

"nslookup $(hostname)" needs to work and match the reverse lookup. "ping $(hostname" should work then also.

Then kill and restart swagentd.

BTW, the built-in lan of your D-Class should be claimed by lan2 which is part of Core-OS. You should be able to use at least this without addtl. products. Check if lan2 is in your kernel and try to add it if it's missing.

Regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)