Operating System - HP-UX
1753900 Members
7631 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Differences in HP Ignite between 10.20 and 11.0???

Douglas Goss
Occasional Contributor

Differences in HP Ignite between 10.20 and 11.0???

Good Morning

When we were on HPUX 10.20, we had a very straight forward method of creating "Clone" tapes of systems so we would only have to go through configuring everything once. However it seems that this same method does not work the same in HPUX 11.0.
Could someone please look at the steps and tell me what I am doing wrong??
==================
1. On the existing K-380 create the hw config file
"/opt/ignite/bin/save_config -f ./k380.conf vg00 vg01 vg02 vg03"
2. Create "k380.boot_image" which can be used for future clone tapes
"cd /opt/ignite/local"
"/opt/ignite/bin/make_medialif -f ./k380.conf -f ./generic.conf -l ./k380.boot_image"
3. Make a current system image
"/opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image -l 1 -s local -d /usr1 -n k380_current.gz"

NOTE this tape image has to be used within 30 days of making it otherwise the accounts have expired.

4. on system where tape drive to be written to is located
"chmod 666 /dev/rmt/0m*"
5. copy boot image to tape
"cat k380.boot_image | dd of=/dev/rmt/0mn obs=2k"
6. copy system image to tape
"cat k380_current.gz | dd of=/dev/rmt/0mn obs=10k"

You then go to the target system and boot from the tape and you have a exact "Clone" of the other system.
you just have to extract certain files from the last full backup tape to restore the identy of the system.

We have tried this same steps in HPUX 11 and it will not work. we ended up with two tapes and during the load of the first tape the system could not find or deal with vg01, vg02 or vg03.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Re: Differences in HP Ignite between 10.20 and 11.0???

Hi,

I've created golden images and recovery tapes before but I never had to use all the commands you use.

make_sys_image is something I use to make a "golden image" of workstations and I place the image on an Ignite server. You seem to use the images to boot from a tape.

Did you knew HP has a free product to use for disaster recovery ? It is called make_net_recovery and make_tape_recovery (new name for make_recovery).
I use the make_tape_recovery command to create bootable tapes. These disaster recovery tools can be downloaded from :

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/index.html

You've seen it right, these tools are a subset of Ignite-UX.

Check out the documents. When you've installed the software, you can run make_recovery -Av for example. This however will only backup vg00.
Check out the man-page for how to add the other volume groups. (It has something to do with -inc_vg if I recall correctly)

Good luck,
Jeroen.