4524 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Different subnet ?

SOLVED
Go to solution

Different subnet ?

Hi Admins,

I've a question for you. I'am want to make an net_recovery of a node that's in an other subnet than our ignite server.

Ignite gives a warning about this but can use the net_recovery file to recover the node if they are in a different subnet ?

TIA,

Willy Schriemer
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Willy,

Yes you can.
But to do a pure net boot recovery you have to use a "boot helper" system located in the client's subnet. This is not an easy thing to set up.

The easiest way to do a net recovery is to boot the Core CD on the client & do an Ignite install. In it's menus you can specify the recovery server & off you go.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer.

I konw there's something like "boot helper" but intil now I didn't configure one. Do you've any expierence with it?

As for boot from Core CD & do an Ignite install I didn't know you can do a ignite install.

TIA,

Willy.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, I've had some limited experience with net boot recovery & boot helpers, but enough to know that it's not my preferred way to do a net recovery. The complexity of setup coupled with the fact that we have scores of subnets really rule that method out for us.

If you can afford downtime on that system - or better yet - have a sandbox system to test the Ignite install on, try booting the core CD & look over it's menus & you'll easily spot how to do the Ignite install. In my opinion it's the only way to do net recoveries.

Another alternative is to create a make_tape_recovery tape *from* the net recovery image. Then you just boot the tape as you would a normally created make_tape_recovery tape.

Rgds,
Jeff

Jeff,

If I use the Ignite option is mine understanding correct that all the parameters as node name, IP-address, filesystem values have to be entered again ?

Willy.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

IF the image is from that system you won't have to re-enter those values. But you could change them if you wish.
And you do have the flexibility to use an image from another system & change those at install time. You have to create a new client on the Ignite server to use another system's image, but it's easy - just a little file manipulation & such.

Rgds,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the information.

In this case only two nodes are in a different subnet so I decided to install Ignite server on both of them and use both of them as an Ignite server with recovery archives of each other.

Kind regards

Willy Schriemer
Philips Semiconductors
The Netherlands