5588 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk layout in Ignite

Lance McGrath
Occasional Advisor

Disk layout in Ignite

All -

I'd like to have Ignite automatically layout my disks on a golden image I've created. I have the following syntax in my configuration file:

partitioned_disk {
physical_volume disk[10/0/15/1.5.0] {
}
fs_partition {
usage = VxFS
size = remaining
mount_point = "/"
}
swap_partition {
usage = SWAP
size = 2048
mount_point = "primary"
}
fs_partition {
usage = VxFS
size = 17500
mount_point = "/exp"
}
fs_partition {
usage = HFS
size = 200
mount_point = "/stand"
}
}

instl_adm says the syntax is alright, but then when I ignite the system it claims that there's no disk layout specified for the image. Any idea what's wrong? (Save the commentary on the layout, please - I didn't pick it, and it'll change for our next iteration of machines :)

Furthermore, is there a way to generalize it a bit and tell it to put the layout on the first disk, wherever that disk may happen to be?

Thanks!
Lance
3 REPLIES 3
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Hi

lvol1 should be /stand (HFS)
lvol2 should be swap (primary)
lvol3 should be / (VxFS)

You should not move these 'roun, ekse the system wont boot. At boot time it pries to point at the vunix file on 1st partition/lvol; hence your layout will pobably fail....as you have
lvol1 as /
lvol2 as swap
lvol3 as /exp
lvol4 as /stand

Regards

Tim
-
Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Lance,

I'd check that the INDEX entry for the golden image points to all the correct config files for the layout you want.

Not sure it's possible to tell ignite to use the first disk it finds, but you should be able to define a path for each model of server, which may reduce the need for intervention.
Cheers,

Tony.
You CAN do that on HP
Lance McGrath
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys - I've made the disk layout correction and checked the INDEX file to be safe, but I have only one configuration file for the whole image, so it wasn't a problem with that.

Is there any special place this has to be in the file? Do I have to call the partitioned_disk "function" somehow? My understanding was that Ignite would loop through the file in order and that the most complex it got was "if" statements, but am I wrong?

Lance