108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Does "makrec.log1" have to be present?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Gore
Regular Advisor

Does "makrec.log1" have to be present?

If I delete makrec.log1, will it get recreated each time I run an ignite backup? I have a lot of old stuff out there and don't know if I am better off "clearing" the file or just delete it and let it get recreated.
5 REPLIES 5
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Does "makrec.log1" have to be present?

Hi Tom,

---->

There are two log files in /var/opt/ignite/logs.
makrec.log1 contains any errors encountered during the make_recovery
process.
makrec.log2 contains a listing of all the files/directories that were
recorded to tape.

----<

So yes they will be recreated.

HTH,
Robert-Jan
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Tom,

you should definitely use a somewhat current verion of iginte (4.x) and run make_tape_recovery instead of make_recovery.

Then you can delete the makerec log files and they won't be re-created.

The log file of make_tape_recovery is /var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest/recovery.log

Regards,
Bernhard

Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

To elaborate a bit more:

"latest" is actuall a link to a directory named like 2003-12-03,14:17 (i.e. the date when you ran make_tape_recovery). And by default only the newest two of those directories are kept the rest is deleted when make_tape_recovery completes, hence *no more* cleanup to do!

Regards,
Bernhard
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if your problem is /var filesystem near full then you should check other log files: /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log or mail.log. Otherwise gzip your makrec.log1, move it to another filesystem (for example /tmp) and create another one makrec.log1 with the same permission under the same path.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,
Ettore
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Tom Gore
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the advice. I am not having a problem with var filling up. I am just trying to work with some scripts to automate ignite and produce an "error" report if there are problems. I don't want to filter through all of the past days logs. Just the most current. If I am able to delete the logs as I examine them that will save bogus error traps.