4456 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error when installing patch bundle with Ignite

Sebastien Masson
Valued Contributor

Error when installing patch bundle with Ignite

I all,

I build a Ignite server to install 11i with Quality Pack and Hardware patch bundles and on a 32bit system (K-220), I got this error during patch installation.

-----------------------------------------
ERROR: This patch will not be installed because it is
incompatible with the microprocessor (CPU) on
the destination system. It requires a
processor that can execute PA-RISC version 2.0
object code.

If you need additional information about this
error message, contact your HP Country Response
Center or other HP-UX software support personnel.
----------------------------------

Somebody know something about that.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Which version of Ignite ("A" or "B") did you load, and what is the OS version of your K-server?

From the Ignite web site:

/begin_quote/

Ignite-UX version A.x can install multiple versions of HP-UX 10.x from a single Ignite-UX server. The Ignite-UX server may be any HP-UX computer running either 10.01, 10.10 or 10.20.

Ignite-UX version B.3.4 and later requires a server running HP-UX 11.0 or 11i (32 or 64 bit). Ignite-UX version B.x can install HP-UX 10.20, 11.0 and 11i from this single server.

/end_quote/

Regards!

...JRF...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I don't recall which processor a K220 has, but judging from the message you are getting, it is a PA-RISC 1.1 processor and NOT PA-RISC 2.0. That is a normal message as some of the patches are dependent on the processor.

You may also see messages that tell you that a patch is not compatible with your particular model of machine. This is most often seen on firmware type patches that may be included in a patch bundle. If the bundle contains firmware for an L series box, and you are installing on a K box, then you will get an error message for that patch. That is perfectly normal behavior.

Every patch within a Q-PAK bundle will NOT be installed on every system and that is OK.
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Sebastian

This is typical of incompatabilities in that the patch is based on PA-RISC series processors. The processors in the K220 series are old (probably 120Mhz) which are no longer patch fixed. Also the firmware level of the box will kick back some patches for diagnostics if it's not up to date.
Sebastien Masson
Valued Contributor

Ok... I think some few background needed.

I know my K-220 is a PA-RISC 1.1. And I run Ignite B release on a A500 running HP-UX 11i.

I custom to whole Ignite-UX configuration to install an OS like that:

1. OS from the original CD
2. Optional HP Apps (i.e. mirror/ux, etc)
3. Install Lastest Quality Pack and Hardware Enable bundle (in this case: Dec2001).

Like I said, everything is fine on a PA-RISC 2.0 server like a N4000. I know this patch doesn't work on a 1.1 but the question is not there... Is: Why swinstall doesn't detect that correctly and doesn't bypass these patch... Me I don't want to check and exclude some patch from the bundle each time a new QPK or HWEnble is released..

:-) For now I like the answer related to my firmware... I will check that.

But the problem appear on all my PA_RISC 1.1 servers. K-440, 220.

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The error message that is given is saying that swinstall is ignoring this patch. Does the installation of the patch bundle NOT continue after this?
Sebastien Masson
Valued Contributor

No Ignite continue with the installation and the Server is fine but Ignite put the icon in RED.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It may be that if the Ignite server sees the word "Error" anywhere in its output, then it sets the icon to be red. If that is the only error you have, and everything installed correctly and the machine is running OK, I wouldn't worry too much.