108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding /stand

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Expanding /stand

I'm am going to be expanding /stand on one of my L2000 running HP-UX11.0 in order to be able to apply the most recent Quality, Hardware, and Security patches. I am planning on using ingite to do the filesystem expansion.

My question is do I have to do the interactive restore do the expansion, or can I do a "preview" make_tape_recovery save and then make the modifications to the logical volume information in /var/opt/ignite/recovery/config.recover and then do the "resume" make_tape_recovery and then just restore from the tape?

thanks,
mark

the future will be a lot like now, only later
15 REPLIES 15
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Expanding /stand

Good question, Mark - I don't know.

However, being the nervous, overly cautious type in cases like this, I would prefer to babysit every step of the interactive version anyway.

Pete

Pete
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Pete,

I've expanded non-OS critical volumes this way in the past by doing the prevew, increasing the size allocation, doing the resume to run the save, and then the reboot and restore.

Obviously with something as significant as /stand, I want to double check this!
mark
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Mark,

I'd just never thought of it. From reviewing the config file, it sure looks like it ought to work. I'll be interested to hear your results.

Good luck,
Pete

Pete
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Mark,

If I were you, I rather change the size of a logical volume interactively. Go with the other approach if you plan to ignite more than one box.

Hai
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

You could do it the way you are talking about Mark.

I like going through the interactive menu though so I KNOW what is happening.

I'm just curious though, why do you need to extend /stand in order to apply patches? Unless you are keeping several old kernels as backups, /stand should change significantly when you install patches.
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Mark,

Just my 2 cents, but if your 9% short, i would bump it up more than just the 10% your thinking about. The same thing could occur when you go to do the next rd of patches and updates. If disk is not an issue bump it up a little more. We here use 150MB as our /stand size.

Gl Frank G.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Damn, it'd be nice if I could type.

My last statement above should read "/stand should NOT change significantly when you install patches".
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Patrick,

I need to make /stand about 10% larger than it is:

/dev/vg00/lvol1 83733 61841 13518 82% /stand

I tried loading the latest Quality patch and got the error message that /stand was about 9% to small.

There is a vmunix.prev in there I thought about removing, as well as a vmunix_test under /stand/build/ which I probably will remove prior to doing the save. But seeing how these will get recreated as a part of doing the patch upgrades, I'm really just delaying the problem.

mark
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Mark:

If you have made your 'make_tape_recovery' recovery tape with the '-I' option:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

...then when you boot from the tape the recovery will be "interactive".

Boot from the tape; Respond "no" when asked if you want to interact with IPL. After about 10-minutes you will see "Recovery tape created from system on .". Press any key to continue.

From the Ignite menu, choose "Install HP-UX/Media Only". Select "Advanced Installation" and choose the "Filesystems" tab.

Choose your target disk and resize your filesystems to you tastes.

Regards!

...JRF...