108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding /stand

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Robinson
Frequent Advisor

Re: Expanding /stand

I can see no reason why you can't just umount(1m) /stand and enlarge it using extendfs -F hfs. I have sometimes seen systems where /stand has got unmounted somehow. The symptom is that the kernel is then unreadable for commands like netstat.

Try fuser on your /stand partition!

Obviously *I* am not going to try this first! ;->
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

Martin,

Interesting Idea. You are correct that fuser to stand's lvol has nothing attached to it. Remember, stand is contigous, and swap is right next to it. you would have to move lvols around by mirroring or moving, and after resizing put them back in disk order. (lvlnboot -R) etc. It would be fun to try on a development box. If it worked It still would not be worth doing on a production box and risk a error in procedures. Ignite is a well documented and does work. I still like the thought....

There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Actually, if you search the hp site for "expand /stand", you'll find a 10.20 document that explains how to do it without using ignite. It is not for the faint of heart, as you have to remove swap and recreate it after you expand /stand, among other things.

If I have to get all the users off the system to get it to single usermode anyway, I'll take the ignite method!

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Pramod_4
Trusted Contributor

If you can afford a system reboot and shrink your swap a little then you can extend your stand without re-igniting your box. I have personally used this method and it works successfully.

Following are the steps:

Reboot your system in LVM maintenance mode:

At the ISL prompt enter the following:

ISL> hpux ???lm

This will boot the system in LVM maintenance mode and you will see a ???#??? prompt.

Do the following at the ???#??? prompt:

# vgchange ???a y /dev/vg00

# lvremove /dev/vg00/lvol2 ( You are removing swap !)

extend your /stand logical volume now???.

# lvextend ???L 200 /dev/vg00/lvol1

Create your primary swap now??????

# lvcreate ???C y -r N -s y ???L (Original size ??? the size you grabbed for /stand lvol )-n lvol2 /dev/vg00

# Please note that size of lvol1 + lvol2 should not exceed 2GB.

# lvlnboot ???R ( This will update the BDRA with newly created swap and stand.)

# vgchange ???a n

# reboot
Johnny Kwok
Occasional Advisor

Avoid using Pramod instructions:

He left out a few instructions (like extending the file system); If you follow exactly, the reboot would fail complaining not able to find vmunix or vmunix is not executable.

This is the thread to complete instructions to expand /stand,

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x56085ec05a7ad711abdc0090277a778c,00.html
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

I used the ignite process to do it. It went fine, so I'll probably stick with that method, should I have to do this on another system.

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later