108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

File system sizing in config

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

File system sizing in config

I'm trying to understand how Ignite is interpretting the file system size options in the config file. I have the following three types of entries (modified from the original shipped with Ignite). What's puzzling me is the order in which entries for size are taken and applied. For example, /opt is defined as

size = 2000Mb | remaining | 252Mb free

and when the system is built, /opt is 2GB. And /home is defined as

size = remaining | 25000Mb

and it gets set to 25GB, which leaves almost 1GB unused on the disk when everything is completed. So it's obviously not the order of the entries that matters... and the largest or smallest option doesn't seem to be the case either. I don't recall reading anything about this in the Ignite Administration Guide (other than some high level descriptions when it covers configuring the file system through the GUI.)
--
Jeff Traigle
2 REPLIES 2
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: File system sizing in config

These ignite config file syntax items can be read about with the "man 4 instl_adm" cmd.

The ones you are playing with work like this.

The '|'s act as ranges or 'OR's.

If you really want /home to suck up all remaining space on the volume, use

size = remaining

You example for /home has

remaining |

and you are getting the max_size specified.

Try reading the man pages and experimenting with the many ways of setting these options.
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Re: File system sizing in config

Thanks, Scot. Bad day... forgot this info would more likely be in instl_adm(4). *sigh* Almost time to go home. I already forced it to "remaining" earlier this afternoon by doing as you mention here.
--
Jeff Traigle