108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Follow-on Copy_boot_tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Huber
Occasional Contributor

Follow-on Copy_boot_tape

Thanks for all the replies, I am getting closer to my final needs.

The dd commands. Are both dd commands done seperately, one after the other(for boot-image and system-image). They do not overwrite each other? Or are they performed on the same line. Is the tape bootable after using dd?

The copy_boot_tape command that was suggested in a reply, only writes the boot-image file to tape, not the boot-image & system-image. I could not figure out a command structure to write both to tape and be bootable.

Thanks
Greg
3 REPLIES 3
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor
Solution

Greg,

When using dd to write all four tapes to disk and then create a tape, it will overwrite each other.
The dd commands suggested are to make a duplicate of the Ignite tapes.
You need to run the steps, for each tape.
dd if=/dev/rmt/0mn of=/var/tmp/bootimage bs=2k
dd if=/dev/rmt/0m of=/var/tmp/systemimage bs=10k

dd if=/var/tmp/bootimage of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=2k
dd if=/var/tmp/systemimage of=/dev/rmt/0m bs=10k

copy_boot_tape(1m), that could also be of use to pull the LIF and the archive off of a make_recovery tape.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

You need to run the steps, for each tape.
This is an extract from the Ignite-UX FAQ Ques 4.2:
If you have 1 tape drive, and have enough disk space to hold the contents of both tape files, then you should be using something like the following:

dd if=/dev/rmt/0mn of=/var/tmp/bootimage bs=2k
dd if=/dev/rmt/0m of=/var/tmp/systemimage bs=10k

dd if=/var/tmp/bootimage of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=2k
dd if=/var/tmp/systemimage of=/dev/rmt/0m bs=10k

I hope this helps!
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

With the 2 dd commands that were given, the second will not overwrite the data that the first dd writes as long as you make ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE that you are using the no-rewind device (/dev/rmt/0mn) when you execute the first dd.

With the no-rewind device, the tape will not rewind after the first dd finishes, then when you execute the second dd it will start where the first one stopped.