108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fully Automated Ignite Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Senthilpvelavan
Occasional Contributor

Fully Automated Ignite Installation

Is the New server (no OS installed in the server) Can be installed with out the user interface. Apart from the boot lan install command.
8 REPLIES 8
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Re: Fully Automated Ignite Installation

As you say, for a target with no OS installed, some interaction will be required at the console. This could be automated with console-interaction tools, like 'expect'.

Once the target is booting and talking to the Ignite server, it is possible to setup an Ignite server to proceed automatically with default configuration specified in the INDEX file and control_from_server=true and run_ui=false set in the initial boot config.

It is possible, but tricky. The default target configurations for networking, etc. must be well set up and working for this to be successful.
Shane Seymour
Frequent Advisor

Yes, it can be done following the instructions from Scott with what to put into the install filesystem. It assumes however that you have a DHCP server setup and have completely specificied a default configuration that will install the system with no interaction (giving what the disk to install the system will be as well).

It's not a job that is easy to do and requires quite good skills with configuration files.
Shane Seymour
Frequent Advisor

You'd also need to either change the AUTO file in the boot_lif to set the HP-UX revision you wanted to install to be the default or you'd also have to select the HP-UX rev of the install kernel to match the HP-UX rev you wanted to install.
Shane Seymour
Frequent Advisor

You'd also need to either change the AUTO file in the boot lif to set the HP-UX revision you wanted to install to be the default or you'd also have to select the HP-UX rev of the install kernel to match the HP-UX rev you wanted to install.
Senthilpvelavan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks scot and shane,
I could do the changes and the installation is going well for the new system.

I was trying with the corrupted system,
intervention needed to by pass this option.
WARNING: The disk at: 0/0/2/0.0.0 (SEAGATE_ST173404LC) appears to contain a
file system and boot area. Continuing the installation will destroy
any existing data on this disk.

Do you wish to cancel the non-interactive installation in order to
respond to the warnings above? ([y]/n): *
Response was: n

Is there is an way we can by pass the warning with out manual input.
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor
Solution

Such warnings are routine when re-installing.

If running fully automated, Ignite can give you an opportunity to interrupt, but continue with such warnings. ERROR msgs however, could halt the process and demand user intervention.

The parameter that controls this behavior is INST_ALLOW_WARNINGS. Set it to 5 seconds and you will get a msg like this instead:

Press within 5 seconds to cancel batch-mode installation:

when a warning occurs.

Senthilpvelavan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Scot.
Its worked ..Thank you so much for the support.
willsfrazer
Advisor

Hi Senthil,

I am also looking for fully automated ignite installation. I realize that it need changes to configuration file in Ignite server. Could you please provide me some clues or sample as what configuration files will look like and how can we specify file system details to be used in configuration file to be takes for target system.

Thanks,
Wills.