Operating System - HP-UX
1753856 Members
7024 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX's GZIP.. Can it be replaced with the Latest/GNU One?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

HP-UX's GZIP.. Can it be replaced with the Latest/GNU One?

I noticed some failures today out of my make_net_recovery jobs. specifically on gzip. /usr/contrib/bin/gzip is a failry old version: gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93) (From Hp-UX 11i SEP 2003 Install)

My Question, coult I replace this executable with a later one? Ie. gzip 1.3.x? Any ill-effects to Ignite that can be expected?
Hakuna Matata.
4 REPLIES 4
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP-UX's GZIP.. Can it be replaced with the Latest/GNU One?

That will be a safe upgrade. Please do

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Yes, you could certainly replace it with a later version and test it, im sure it would work fine, but even the latest 11i install cd's use this same version (1.2.4) so there must be a good reason why HP hasnt updated it, leading me to think it may not be a good idea to upgrade it, not without extensive testing anyway.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Could anyone read HP's mind why they have not updated gzip at all? (and why there are 2 Perls ? -- one 5.6.1 in /opt and an older 5.003 in contrib?).. Of course if it ain;t broke, why fix right?

The very latest HPUX 11i that I install - DEC 2003 release still sport the same gzip version.
Hakuna Matata.
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

The /good/ reason is mentioned here quite often: GNU still has not marked any release past 1.2.4 as *stable*, and HP's decision track is based on that label.

I bet you that the moment gzip-1.3.5 is marked *stable*, HP will ship it on the next CD

The porting center is more flexible. After I requested to ship a newer version it took them exactly 30 minutes to have it on-line. Cheerio for the porting center.

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn [ who understands HP, but does not agree ]