1752789 Members
6017 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help needed using Ignite Helper

David Watts
Advisor

Help needed using Ignite Helper

Have Ignite server running on HP-UX 11.00, want to ignite client on different subnet which currently only has HP-UX 10.20 targets. I have tried putting 11 ignite core on a server running 10.20, no good. Then tried putting 10.20 ignite on the server running 10.20 and it gets a lot further but still says that running different versions of ignite, one is A.2.5.136 and the other is B.2.5.136, but I continue anyway and the install hangs...

Does the helper OS need to be the same as the same as the Ignite server OS so there is complete compatability ?
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

David:

Ignite-UX 10.20 servers install and manage HP-UX 10.x on clients. This is the "A" version.

Ignite-UX 11.0 servers install and manage HP-UX 10.x and 11.0 clients. This is the "B" version.

Does this help? Here's the current link to Ignite for you:

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/index.html

...JRF...
MARTINACHE
Respected Contributor

David,

an easy solution is to install an HP-UX 11 on the subnet where are your HP-UX 10.20 client in order to access the correct runtime.

Nevertheless, I never seen an other solution...
Patrice MARTINACHE
David Watts
Advisor

Thanks James, but yes I already know that, and have exhaustively ploughed thru Ignite documentation but it doesn't say anywhere.

Does the helper need to run the exact same version as the ignite server ?

If so that means that as my Ignite server is running a B version (on 11 server), then the helper must also be running a B version so I have to upgrade the helper OS to put on the B version Ignite core, tricky as it is on a different subnet so I need a helper !!!!
David Watts
Advisor

Thanks Patrice, but the subnet with the 10.20 targets on is in another country !!!, hence the use of Ignite.
marc seguin
Regular Advisor

I'm afraid Patrice is right.

I had the same problem with a HPUX 11.00 server and wanting to install workstations on a subnet dedicated to HPUX 10.20.
It's a shame that Ignite versions A.XXX and B.XXX can't recognize each other (with the same XXX number)
If you don't want (or can't) install a HPUX 11.00 helper on the client subnet, there is still a solution.
The client workstation must be alive and running at least HPUX 9.X. So you can install it directly from the Ignite server, without a boot helper, using the command 'bootsys' (i don't use the graphic interface, but you can do it too through it).
During the installation, you can change the IP address of the client, but not the name.
And be careful : if you interrupt the installation, the client won't be able to boot again, so the workstation is no more "alive" and you can't re-install it without a boot helper.

David Watts
Advisor

Yeah, this is what I thought but the documentation isn't clear. I know about the bootsys command and this is what I will have to do to get one of the machines up to 11.00

Thanks.