4390 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to enable root's remote login

Becke
Super Advisor

How to enable root's remote login

Hi Guys,

What should i edit in /tcb/files/auth/r directory for root, so i can enable remote logins for a root user.

Please advise..

Thanks in advance for your help...I do assign points...

Regards,
Raf
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The only thing that prevents root from logging in directly via telnet is the word 'console' in the /etc/securetty file. There is nothing in the /tcb/files/auth/r/root file controls how root logs in.
Becke
Super Advisor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a lot for your help, I have commented out word "console" in the /etc/securitty file, and then telnet to the server and tried to log in as root, but I'm still unable to login as root,

The error message I'm getting is login incorrect, is there anything else i need to look at in order to allow remote login for root... Please let me know

Thanks for your help and prompt response, we have a great team here, I have learned a lot from these forums on HP, as my expertise is in AIX....

Regards,
Raf
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Don't comment it out. The item in the file is the /dev/ location that root will be allowed to login from. So if you have #console in the file then /dev/#console is where root can login from, which is invalid.

Instead just move /etc/securetty to /etc/securetty.old and try again.

I would honestly leave it as it is. This forces you to login as yourself and then su to root. This creates an audit trail of who has su'd to root if it is needed. It can also show who has tried unsuccessfully to su to root.
Becke
Super Advisor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks mate I have now worked it out, i just had to remove the securetty file from the /etc directory and now I can remotely login as root user....

Thanks for all your help...

Regards,
Raf