3849 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to recover form failed product upgrade

Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

How to recover form failed product upgrade

Hello all,

I'm trying to upgrade Secure_Shell, OpenSSL and Ignite-UX on our 11.11 servers.
Installation instructions say to use
"swinstall 0s .

My question is, what happens if swinstall is successfull bu I can't ssh to / from the server?
I noticed the autorecover and outorecover_product options but they will be usefull only if swinstall fails.

Is there a way to protect against this without having tp reinstall the products?

Would backing up /opt/openssl, /opt/sss and /opt/ignite be sufficient protection?

4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi RAynald:

> My question is, what happens if swinstall is successfull bu I can't ssh to / from the server?

Then the installation of the software was successful, but your use or your post-installation configuration isn't correct.

Regards!

...JRF...
Ramesh S
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

Check the swinstall & swagent logs for any related errors.

or

You could install the latest version with "allow_multiple_versions" ( Product should support this option ). If the new version run without any issue, you could go for an upgrade

Best Regards,
Ramesh
Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

I'm a little surprised by the above answers.

I have downloaded installation instructions for all 3 depots and nowhere do they mention post installation tasks.

I'm asking this question because our quality control measures require that we guarantee recovery after a patch or upgrade fails to perform adequately (ie nothing gets touched unless you can prove you can fix undesirable results).

For instance we can reboot using vmunix.prev after a patch causes problems.
I'm trying to find a similar rollback for the 3 products I want to upgrade.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Then you need to do an Ignite make_tape_recovery before hand. Then, in case of failure, simply boot from the tape to restore your root volume and you will be back where you started from.

Pete

Pete