Go to solution
dhanish
Regular Advisor

IGNITE

Hi,
I have made my iginite server using the following two command
1)make _depots -r B.11.00 -s /dev/dsk/c2t1d0 ----cdrom device file
2) make_config -r B.11.00
NOW I can see rhe the depot under /var/opt/ignite/Rel.B.11.00.

I want to install the client which is on other newtwork.Do i have to do smthing else also so that my client finds the server or i just have to give the bootsys cmmnd at my client.

Can anybody help !!

Never Say Die
7 REPLIES 7
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: IGNITE

Hi Nitin,

If the client is up and running, then you just need to add the client and then reboot it through ignite server to install the OS. Yes. Bootsys will copy necessary files to boot the system and to recognize the ignite server.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Can your ignite server reach the client you wish to install over the network ?

If so, start /opt/ignite/bin/ignite on your server and open menu "actions". Ther you willfind "boot client".

This will boot your client and prepare it for remote installation from your ignite server. You won't have to touch your client at all.
dhanish
Regular Advisor

No my client is not up i have to use bootsys command..so can i use it over the network.

ONE more question
if in case i wanna try this on some online client but i dont want to disturb the client but i can afford to have one reboot of that client.So if add that online client to my server and say boot client ..then can u let me know in sequence what will happen after that..i just wanna test..that my client recognizes my ignite server or not...so will it disturb the present running OS or do i have the option somewhere to to say start install after the client is reboted, ..and make the client up...using the orginal OS.

Never Say Die
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Nitin,

If the clinet is not up and if it is not in the same subnet as of the ignite servers, you have the following options.

-Setup a helper system on the subnet of the client (suggested)
Install MinimumRunTime version of Ignite (version should match the ignite server).
Update instl_boottab and run the command
instl_adm -t ip_of_ignite_server

-boot from the CD

Regarding the other question, I would not recommend though it is possible. bootsys basically copies INSTALL and INSTALLFS and sets the auto flag to boot through INSTALL program. You can revert it back by manually booting from vmunix by interacting with ISL. But it is better to try it on a crash and build system.

-Sri
dhanish
Regular Advisor

HI Sridhar,
Can you elaborate a liitle how to setup a helper system.

thnks
Never Say Die
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Nitin,

It's easy.... nothing more than what I mentioned.

1. Choose a 10.x or 11.x system on the same network as of the client that is to be built.

2. Install Ignite/UX software on it. MinimumRuntime would do. YOu don't have to install the entire package.

3. Once it is installed, run the command

/opt/ignite/bin/instl_adm -t IP_OF_THE_IGNITE_SERVER

To verify you can use the command
instl_adm -d

It should display the Ignite server.

4. Edit /etc/opt/ignite/instl_boottab and keep some temporary and unused IP addresses

5. Bring up the client to the boot admin prompt and do a search lan install. It should find this helper system. Boot from it, it will boot from the helper system and eventually be pointed to the ignite server.

More detailed documentation is there under /opt/ignite/share/doc as sysadm.txt.

-Sri
dhanish
Regular Advisor

Thanks to U both who replied to my question I will try this.

thnks
Nitin
Never Say Die