New Discussion

IOTree & _hp_hide_other_disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
EU-Admins-UNIX
Regular Advisor

IOTree & _hp_hide_other_disks

Hi

We are in the middles of rolling out some new storage and it appears the appliance is creating the VGs as v2.1

(see below).

WARNING: Failed to find "/dev/vg132/N_C_ADMIN" in IOTree, will not be added to the _hp_hide_other_disks list

WARNING: Failed to find "/dev/vg132_0/N_C_ADMIN_0" in IOTree, will not be added to the _hp_hide_other_disks list

--- Volume groups ---
VG Name                     /dev/vg132
VG Write Access             read/write
VG Status                   available
Max LV                      2047
Cur LV                      1
Open LV                     1
Max PV                      2048
Cur PV                      1
Act PV                      1
Max PE per PV               262144
VGDA                        2
PE Size (Mbytes)            16
Total PE                    2559
Alloc PE                    2559
Free PE                     0
Total PVG                   0
Total Spare PVs             0
Total Spare PVs in use      0
VG Version                  2.1
VG Max Size                 4t
VG Max Extents              262144

I have installed the new version of Ignite (7.15.254) on another test server and still get teh issue.

Can you help?

Regards

Tariq

4 REPLIES 4

Re: IOTree & _hp_hide_other_disks

Did you read the section in the Ignite Release Notes about LVM2.0 support?

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03010901/c03010901.pdf

Bottom of p35

Basically if you are on the March 2010 update release of 11iv3 you can migrate your volume groups to LVM version 2.2 using vgversion and Ignite will be able to back them up...

or you can exclude them from your Ignite backup... (for my mind you should only ever be using Ignire to backup the core OS anyway)

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
EU-Admins-UNIX
Regular Advisor

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the response.  What we do at our place is include ONLY vg00 in out Ignite backups.  The message relating to vg132 came out in the ignite backup output.

The command we use:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -I -t "Make Recovery of system $SYSTEM on `date`" -a ${TAPEDEVICE}n -x inc_entire=vg00 -v 2>&1 | tee -a $LOGFILE

All our VGs are VG1.0 (root and current EVA disks).  We are migrating storage vendors, and through testing experienced the IOTree messages, as the new Vendor LUNs are created VG2.1.

My current version of Ignite is C.7.8.201.

My question is, if we migrate to the new storage and change nothing else, will our ignite tapes be compromised?

Would it be adviseable to upgrade Ignite even though the messages appeared on our test server as well?

Or do we migrate VG versions?

Regards

Tariq

Solution

>> My question is, if we migrate to the new storage and change nothing else, will our ignite tapes be compromised?

No, I don't believe so - it simply means that if you attempt to do a recovery from this Ignire backup, the disks in that volume group will not be "hidden" when you launch the configuration tool - i.e. you will need to be careful not to install the boot disk back onto one of the disks in that VG, as Ignire will not be protecting you from doing that.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
EU-Admins-UNIX
Regular Advisor

Thanks Duncan

It does help, makes things more clear.

Regards

Tariq