Operating System - HP-UX
1752590 Members
2996 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite Across Server Classes

Scott Negron

Ignite Across Server Classes

I'm setting up an Ignite server on an RX2620 (11.23). I have previous experience with IUX and at the time, you couldn't ignite across server classes. Is this still true? Do I need to make a separate Golden Image for each hardware class I will be igniting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It depends on how you do it. If you have a generic golden image, then that should be able to work across different model machines, as long as it is compatible with that machine.

It is not recommended to take an image from an rp24xx class and try to load on an rp74xx class machine.

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

My rule for this is amazingly simple. Regardless of the Ignite version, if I have to ask "will this image work?" then I create an image using the target machine. You absolutely, positively do not want to ask that question when you actually need the image.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Ignite/UX (the very latest version) is amazing adept at installing HP-UX on different hardware. Unlike a cold install where the HP-UX Core CDROM has all the basic drivers and is aware of hardware differences, Ignite/UX takes an image of an existing system. There is very little available to accomodate different hardware, specifically, different I/O cards for disk, tape, LAN, etc. And naturally, going from a brand new model back to a 10 year old K460 will never work. Similarly, partition-based hardware is quite unique and not very portable.

Even the Golden Image concept is still limited to similar hardware. A Golden Image is a "getting started" image without all of the customization in /etc, /opt and /usr. Ignite can accomodate different disks connected to I/O cards in different slots, but loading a JBOD disk image onto a machine with all fibre disks on a big array won't fly. Now you could try this: install every driver for every card, disk, tape and LAN from every machine you have (or will have) and use that resultant system as your Ignite image. Might work fairly well, but as you might expect, you will have to test every target machine.

And remember that Igniting an image with different disk addresses, especially with mirroring will require careful records and lots of extra steps after installation.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Scott Negron

Thanks a bunch for all this good advice, it's what I figured. You all rule!

Scott