1753795 Members
6838 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite Approach; to put 10.20 onto 725/100's

Mike Shryne
Occasional Contributor

Ignite Approach; to put 10.20 onto 725/100's

My target systems are Agilent 3070 systems, integrated with HP-UX 10.20 and released as Agilent B.3.xx. The target systems are currently running B.3.20 and need to be upgraded to B.3.80. All systems have two 4Gb drives. The idea is to Ignite the second drive with a golden image of a master B.3.80 system. I wish to leave the process with the new drive successfully ignited and capable of booting into B.3.80, and the original drive booted running B.3.20.

In addition I would like to do this remotely from the Ignite Server. I'm not sure this is possible, or how close I can come to that. The second choise would be to have the newly ignited B.3.80 drive booted and the B.3.20 ready to boot by changing primary path at BOOT_ADMIN prompt locally on target.

My understanding I would have to use bootsys to ignite from the server and have enough room in targets /stand for INSTALL and INSTALLFS and have remsh permissions. But it sounds like that would leave the original B.3.20 drive in a state where /tmp/bootsys_prep -u would have to be manualy executed on the target to remove the INSTALL and INSTALLFS files.

To top this off I'll have to go across subnet thru router and would like to avoid using the Ignite Server as a DHCP server (possible conflicts with our existing DHCP server, which responds to all requests).

I hope this is relatively clear and I will appreciate any insight.
Thanks,
Mike S.
3 REPLIES 3
Mike Shryne
Occasional Contributor

I quess this question(s) is not very clear or the Agilent B.3.xx stuff scared everyone off.
The only impact from Agilent is possible patch compatability issues and hardcoding major numbers.

The question is a higher level question of:

***Can I Ignite a remote client from the Ignite Server and when done have both drives in a bootable condition?***

The remote client system is booted on one of the drives and I would like to do the install on the second unmounted blank drive. When the install is done I hope to have the system reboot when done. When it reboots, I would like to have the non-booted drive in a state that could be rebooted from the client keyboard, by changing the primary path at the BOOT_ADMIN prompt.
I appologize for any lack of clairity or confusion in presenting the question!

Thanks
Mike S.
Carl Zabel
Occasional Advisor

I've never tried anything quite like this, but you should be able to try this:

Setup a system with the second drive running the new os then create a golden system image from it and move it to the ignite server. Then when you remote boot the system (do it on a test box first) select the golden image to be installed and change the harddrive to install it on the the secondary drive. You could then use the setboot to set which drive is primary and which is secondary.
Indecsion is the key to flexibility
Michael Roberts_3
Honored Contributor

As you said, you can run the install remotely using the Ignite bootsys command. Since the target system is up and on the network, gateways etc are not a problem.
Terms: disk1 = original OS
disk2 = newly Ignited

After running bootsys to disk1 and successfully Igniting / booting disk2 you can undo the changes bootsys made to disk1 by running:
mkboot -a "hpux" /dev/rdsk/

This assumes that the original AUTO file in the LIF was the default. To check the contents of the AUTO file _before_ running bootsys:
lifcp /dev/rdsk/:AUTO -

To switch boot devs you can either do it at BCH as you suggested or use setboot as someone else said.
etouq ot hguone revelc ton m'i