1748179 Members
3904 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite Backup failing

Sri123
Advisor

Ignite Backup failing

Ignite backup (make_tape_recovery) is failing in the server. Attached is the log file.

Ignite version is:

IGDBSRV:/var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest> /usr/sbin/swlist | grep -i ignite
IGNITE C.7.8.201 HP-UX Installation Utilities (Ignite-UX)
Ignite-UX-11-11 C.7.8.201 HP-UX Installation Utilities for Installing 11.11 Systems
Ignite-UX-11-31 C.7.8.201 HP-UX Installation Utilities for Installing 11.31 Systems

The same version works fine for other servers.

Kindly help.

Thanks in Advance,
Sridhar
6 REPLIES 6
VK2COT
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The last line in the log file gives you a clue:

pax: var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/colapprd/2010-07-08,14:22 : >= 8GB. Not Dumped.

In other words, your archive is larger than 8 GB.

You need to upgrade pax to support archives
larger than 8 GB or upgrade the Ignite version.

If you search the ITRC forums and KBs, you will find more information about it too.

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic
Plasbo Fernandez

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

Kindly let me know how to upgrade the pax to support more than 8GB. I had a look at a few threads and i wasn't able to find a solution for this.

Sridhar
Sri123
Advisor

I posted the previous reply. Kindly someone help to provide a solution for this.
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi Sridhar,
which command do you run to backup?

However the message

pax: var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/colapprd/2010-07-08,14:22 : >= 8GB. Not Dumped.

means that file won't be backed up because it's over 8Gb but I don't think it's the reason of the problem. I believe it looks like a problem with make_tape_recovery being killed. Tak a look at the following document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3367813&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3367813&objectID=c00939396

Does it run from a script?

HTH.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To pax patch go:
http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/search.do?BC=main|&pageOsid=hpux
Then "Select OS revision",
and "Search by Keyword" write "pax" in box,
"Search Criteria" could be "any word",
omit step 4, and finally press [search>>]
Please check if patch ID suggested is intalled on your system:
#swlist -l fileset|grep PHXX_NNNNN

I've reviewed the [search>>] suggestion for "pax" and always is command comulative PHCO prefix, this does not match the message in your error message attached: "Install PAX-ENH product to enable this feature." In any case PHCO prefix do not requires server reboot, please check.

Also there is another way to find a solution, "find patches in patch set ":
http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/searchHPUXPatchSet.do?BC=main |
step 1: Select a patch set [Ignite-UX]
step 2: Select OS revision [hpux: 11.nn]
Finally press [search>>]

A patch bundle will be suggest you, then you can check if all of them are installed o just need some of them (use swlist -l fileset|grep PHXX_NNNNN). By this way HP offers you a way to apply patches by Ignite-UX product. This will probably require system reboot.

Rgds.

Shane Seymour
Frequent Advisor

Note that only pax format archives support files >=8GiB (requires adding -x pax to the command). Don't confuse what I said with the pax command - it has a pax format.

Pax format support is there on 11.31 but requires an enhancement bundle for 11.23 which you can get from www.hp.com/go/softwaredepot (and is not available on 11.11).

You might also consider carefully what a file >=8GiB is doing in the root volume group. It's likely to be application related.

Ignite-UX with make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery is not intended as a backup solution - it is intended to enable disaster recovery or a business resumption plan. You should have separate application backups that follow usual backup cycles so you may not need to worry about the files. A recovery archive when it's recovered should get the operation system back and then you would need to still recover applications (especially if you have them part of them in the root volume group and part of them out of it).