108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite Backup/restore on rp3440- HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khalid Oshish
Occasional Contributor

Ignite Backup/restore on rp3440- HPUX

I have certain application (OC) running on this system. I ran the command make_tape_recovery, so I have a tape which is supposed to ne the image of the system.

I would like to know, does that mean I can restore the system fully with the application running and so on...

2. What does these messages mean:
a. WARNING: The volume group /dev/vg00 will be only partially included in the
System Recovery Archive. This means that not all files and
directories on this volume group will be restored when the archive is
installed. This message can be suppressed using the "-P s" option for
make_tape_recovery. See make_tape_recovery(1M) for more details.

b. NOTE: Could not read the /etc/resolv.conf file.
* Cleaning up old configuration file directories

Although i don't find this file, even before running backup.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Ignite Backup/restore on rp3440- HPUX

You need to understand that Ignite is a disaster recovery tool, not a backup/restore tool. Regular backup is best accomplished by utilities that are specifically designed for this purpose: fbackup, omniback, even tar.

Ignite is designed to recover your root volume in a DR situation. You then can go on to use your regular backup methodology to restore the rest of your data.

The partial inclusion message can be remedied by changing your make_tape_recovery command to "make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/0mn -I -x inc_entire=vg00". The "-x inc_entire" option ensures that everything from vg00 is written to the tape.

Pete

Pete
Khalid Oshish
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot. What a bout the question under point b.

What is the meaning and impact of vgoo?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

I kind of thought that was self-explanatory. You don't have a /etc/resolv.conf file. You can do a man on resolv.conf for an explanation of the usage of this file.

Pete

Pete
Khalid Oshish
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Pete.

I know for wht is used. I just didn't figure it out why it looks for this file.

Thanks a lot
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

With regards to resolv.conf. I would assume that Ignite "wishes" that DNS resolution configuration file was there and is probably doing a check. Would it cause a failure during recovery ? Probably not.

With regards to Ignite and applications. Ignite is meant to create an image of vg00 you can tell it to include other vgs and filesystems but beware. The more complexity added to the recovery image the more likely a failure.

For cloning purposes I do include my ORACLE_HOME filesystem in my Ignite image and have recovered/cloned this many dozens of times with out issue.

Simply be sensative to what you are including in the image. Application data should be backed up via another method, fbackup etc..

Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Kahlid
Normally we are taking ignite back up for the system to bring up the system at minimum level once system is crashed that meana we consider it is a boot dik, once u system is at minimum level u can restore all other files from u back up media
pls understand ignite tool is not using to take all u system backup only for making boot disk to bring up the system. other files u have to restore from other back up device and media for example
once u system came up i want to restore all files from here, what i will do i will restore it from my dataprocter backup tool
similary a lot of network tools are available back up
Khalid Oshish
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot. Was helpful