108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite Error.

Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor

Ignite Error.

HI
I initiate a Ignie backup to take using the below command
/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -Av -P s -a /dev/rmt/0mn -t Recovery_Tape_for_Mccartney

Thye above command completes with warning message as below

make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

Please let me knwo how do I suppress this warning message as the Ignite script exits with status 1 and hence this results in a unwanted Incident for the support team.

I've attached the recovery.log file for more details

Sagar
6 REPLIES 6
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

#==============================================
NOTE: The following files are in the list of files that were on the
system, but they are no longer present. These files are not
included in the backup:
/var/opt/ignite/tmp/AAAa14538
/var/opt/ignite/tmp/BAAa14538
/var/tmp/ign_configure/make_sys_image.log

* Archive created and rewind the tape to beginning of tape.

NOTE: Could not read the /etc/resolv.conf file.
* Cleaning up old configuration file directories

======= 06/26/10 21:35:09 BST make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

= its normall error only to infor you that you don't have the resolv.conf on your system, if you don't use DNS to resolv the server names, mostly the administrators using /etc/hosts file for hostname resolution.

These files are not
included in the backup:
/var/opt/ignite/tmp/AAAa14538
/var/opt/ignite/tmp/BAAa14538

=this files was only a temporary, so when you started the ignite backup they ewas presented , and during the vriting the system image to the tape was already deleted.

the archive that you created is ok, and if you have some test enviroment you could test to restore your image.

mikap

Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

When you run Ignite an an active system, near the beginning of the process, a list of files to back up is created.

If that file isn't there any more when it comes time to write it to the archive, Ignite will complain.

If the file is not essential, as these are not, there will merely be a complaint. If the file is essential, the Ignite backup log will indicate that the backup failed.

The particulars of this behavior vary from Version to Version of Ignite. An update of Ignite may make this behave better.

I would not be comfortable recovering with an Ignite backup that is giving a non-zero return code.

You could write your script to check the return code and re-run the backup if the return code is non-zero. This might be hard on the tape inventory.

You also might try scheduling the Ignite tape for a time when the system is less active.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

This has ALWAYS plagued make_net/tape_recovery. From the man page:
0 No warnings or failures occurred; the execution completed
successfully.

1 A failure occurred.

2 A warning occurred.

The Ignite backup tools do much more than backup the system image -- they perform a lot of sanity checks, some not really errors or even warnings. Checks include volume groups that are in lvmtab but not active, file and directory names that are very strange (garbage characters, far too long, etc) and checks that all the files were backed up. But on a running system, there will almost always be files that exist for a short time. Is that a failure? Ignite will report a warning has occurred.

Another error is unmounted filesystems in fstab. Generally, that is probably an error condition but the tools are (last time I checked) unaware of the noauto option. So if you always want the /cdrom mountpoint to be manually mounted (not automatically at boot or mount -a), you might use noauto in fstab. But this forces Ignite to issue an error for an unmounted filesystem, even if it is a good idea.

There is no good solution. The -p option will suppress messages but does not change the return code. What I have done is to scan the backup log to create a multi-rule based report, suppressing messages that are OK, and reporting those that will require fixes and a retry.

BTW: The -A option is not a recommended way to backup the boot VG. -A was a carry over from the (now obsolete) make_recovery command and may be too inclusive. The purpose of make_tape_recovery is to create a bootable image of vg00 on disk. So I would replace -Av with: -v -x inc_entire=vg00 to control the backup scope.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your responses
I've another identical server where the same make_tape_recovery command works fine.

Attached is the recovery log file for this server
Prasanth V Aravind
Trusted Contributor

Can you compare maxssiz values on both servers ??
Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor

Hi Prasanth

The maxssiz and maxssiz_64 on both servers are same

Sagar