108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite Golden Sys Image

SOLVED
Go to solution
PR_4
Advisor

Ignite Golden Sys Image

We have a rp 7400 server which is in production. We have a new box and it needs to look very similar to the existing box. I was thinking about making a golden sys Image and installing the new box using that. Members plz give any suggestions on what problems I might encounter. Will it be an issue that I am making an image out of a production box ? Thanks...
10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

What model is your new box? As long as it is very similar in architecture, your approach should work perfectly. The only time you run into problems is when the architecture differs - like from an N4000 to a rp8420 or something - that just doesn't work.

Pete

Pete
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What type of machine is your new one? What version of HP-UX are you running on the rp7400?
PR_4
Advisor

It is the exact same model, thankfully....
mirco_1
Valued Contributor

hi,

I would add that also the hw path of the device can be equal.

DM.
PR_4
Advisor

It is a HP UX 11i v1 running B.4.4.29 Ignite. Some people suggested that the system could be very unstable during the image making process. Is there any such know issue...Thanks
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

The process of producing the image is not going to de-stabilize your system. It is suggested, however, that the image be made when there is little activity going on.

Pete

Pete
PR_4
Advisor

Thanks very much pete

Here is the reason for my confusion

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90875/ch05s02.html?btnNext=next%A0%BB

Under D: Customize the System

"Important: Do not use the system while make_sys_image is running in the next step. Device files are removed, and the host and/or networking information on the system is reset. After the command is complete, these files are put back."

Thanks very much
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

That's interesting - I had never come across that before! I deal more with make_tape_recovery than with golden images. I guess you've got to believe the book, though.

Pete

Pete
Michael Roberts_3
Honored Contributor
Solution

wrt the "quiet system" requirement. If you use level 1 of make_sys_image ( which is used by make_[net|tape]_recovery ) then no files are disturbed ( other than Ignite temp files) during the archive process. If you use level 2 of make_sys_image then "personality" files like /etc/hosts /etc/passwd /etc/rc.config.d/netconf are reset to their newconfig state while the archive is being created and then put back in place when it is done. /dev files are no longer removed during the archive creation.

It is always a good idea to have the system as quiet as possible during archive creation to avoid corrupting the archive. It is possible to get a corrupted file if it is being archived and at the same time another process is changing it.
etouq ot hguone revelc ton m'i