7390 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite LAN boot

Ruan_3
Frequent Advisor

Re: Ignite LAN boot

Hi Bob,

The ignite client and server are on the same subnet. As you can see for the ethereal trace on the client, the traffic is arriving at the client, but for some reason it does not recognize it as a valid reply.

Before I performed the initial lan boot test, the bootpquery worked. I don't know what has happened which is now causing it to fail.

Thanks,
Ruan
Bob Ingersoll
Valued Contributor

Hi Ruan,

I suggest that you chose one protocol, either bootp or instl_bootd (preferably the latter) to focus on.

The bootp response is getting back to the client but have you verified the instl_bootd response is getting back?

You have debugging on (-d 3) for instl_bootd - do you see any debug entries in syslog? Do you have inetd logging (inetd -l) on? Is inetd calling instl_bootd?

If you don't see instl_bootd getting run then move hosts.deny out of the way temporarily.

Another way to see if intl_bootd is processing the client request is to look at instl_boottab. Make certain that only the ip address is specified; when instl_bootd assigns the address to a client he will update the ip address in instl_boottab with the client MAC and a time stamp.

Once an address from instl_boottab is assigned to a client instl_bootd wont reuse that address for 5 minutes. This could be interfering with your testing. You may want to specify multiple addresses for this reason.
Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

There could also be other servers that answers you're bootp reply... check syslog's on other servers on same LAN.

You might also need a boothelper as I've seen that some servers simply don't handle bo lan.x.x.x.x install if it's on another subnet.

If you find a failed bootp request on another server, you might put this as the boothelper to relay the bootp request to your Ignite server.

See Ignite-UX documentation and search for "boot helper"

/Tor-Arne
I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Did you ever get passed this phase? I am also having same problem, escalated to HP and still waiting to hear from them.

I am trying to boot a vpar on Itanium dome, both vpars: client and Ignite lies on the same Npar but Ignite is not responding to client queries.

thanks.
Ruan_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Guys,

I have managed to get the Ignite client to boot off the ignite server!

There is a host-based firewall (IPFilter) installed on the ignite client and server. Broadcast traffic on 11.2.16.255 and 11.2.20.255 was being blocked without the log option, so I never saw these blocks in the syslog (when doing the bootpquery tests).

Disabled IPF by inserting a pass all rule at the top of the file and was then able to do a successful lan boot. I will now create a rule to allow bootp/instl_bootd traffic through the firewall.

I have not completed the ignite test yet. I just went as far as the Ignite TUI. I am doing the ignite lan boot to test a backout procedure, not to recover the client per se.

How can I split the mirrored root disk, restore the ignite image to one of the non-mirrored root disk and then revert to the previous OS?

In the past I had HP come and yank the root disks and insert a loan drive for the recovery. Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, during a test on a different ignite server with an older version of ignite, the loading of the image took an immense amount of time. Up to 1 hour just to load 10%. This is not feasable when one's recovery window is very small.

I have found the following link indicating that you can use _hp_lanadmin_args="-X 100FD" to set the speed and duplexing settings. Does this indeed work? Below is a copy of the instl_adm config on the server:

# instl_adm defaults:
# NOTE: Manual additions between the lines containing "instl_adm defaults"
# and "end instl_adm defaults" will not be preserved.
server="11.2.16.180"
netmask[]="255.255.255.0"
route_gateway[0]="11.2.20.254"
route_destination[0]="default"
# end instl_adm defaults.
( lan[].driver == "btlan" )
{
_hp_lanadmin_args="-X 100FD"
}

The route gateway listed in a different VLAN. Does this pose a problem? The default gateway is also 11.2.20.240.

Thanks & regards,
Ruan
Ruan_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Guys,

This thread is now moving out of the ignite forums' focus area.

Can I lvsplit vg00 and then do an lvmerge after doing a successful recovery? If I want to install Support Plus patches can I follow the same procedure to recover to the previous system state or to the patched state depending on the source and destination lvols for lvsync?

Thanks & regards,
Ruan
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

You can't install if it is different VLAN. Ignite won't support on it. Ignite and client should be on same VLAN.

Once you meet the above requirement then do this way to test it out on one of the mirror disks.

On client:

1. Note down hardware paths for both disks for vg00: mirror and original disk.
2. Break the mirror.

On Ignite server:

1. Boot client.
2. Once you get gui to install then select mirror disk and remove other disks as part of vg00 so that you would affect only mirror disk.

For some reason, if the test fails, you always have original copy of client to boot off.

Hope this helps.