108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite Serve HW Recommendations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Matlock_1
Regular Advisor

Ignite Serve HW Recommendations

I have been given the green light to spec. out a new/dedicated ignite server for my company. Currently I share space on a dev. box. I have about 32 srvs and 2 copies each of the images takes about 120gb of space. I was thinking of a rp34?? srv w/a DAT 72 drive plus couple of GB NICs. Would like a self-contained server that can rebuild itself quickly using ignite tape and/or frecover. We perform DR tests remotely and would like to take a tape to the remote site and rebuild a ignite server..... Would a rx-series server work as well?
2 REPLIES 2
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite Serve HW Recommendations

for the risc architecture, rp3440 should be more than you need with an attached external storage and external tape drive, or better a DVD+RW for self recovery (costs ~$500 more than DVDROM). If you have multiple subnets in your network and you want to make net recovery commands, get at least a couple of quad 10/100 NICs as you will need legs on each subnet to make it as pain-free as possible

Stay away from rp3410 as it can only accomodate 2 PCI cards, which may not be enough.

I am not sure if ignite server running on itanium architecture (rx34XX) can serve as an ignite server to risc architecture machines but I would not set my hopes too high for that.

Hope this helps
Solution

Re: Ignite Serve HW Recommendations

Hi Dan

Since Ignite server is going to be an important one, recommend having redundant power supply and mirrored storage in it. rp3440 server with 4Gb RAM, 2X 146Gb HDD, MirrorDisk/UX and DAT72 will do

Regards
Mahesh