Operating System - HP-UX
1753803 Members
7458 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite-UX Any issues with Mirror/UX?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

Ignite-UX Any issues with Mirror/UX?

Hi,

We have two L2000's in a cluster (MC/SG) and each server has the boot disk (vg00) mirrored.

We are going to use Ignite-UX.
Is there any special issues
with creating an Ignite-UX tape and/or with recovery?

10 points to any good answer.
Thank you
Gino
16 REPLIES 16
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Gino:

Ignite, by design, will *not* "recover" your mirrored disk (logical volumes). You will need to do this yourself, following the Ignite recovery.

Regards!

...JRF...
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
there are no issue with mirror/ux.

Just one thing: when you use the tape, the vg00 will not be mirrored, you will have to mirrir it by yourself.

I suggest you to use the -i option, to use the interactive interface. With these option you can customize the disk layout and many more things.

Remember to have the latest patcheds of pax, to avoid anooyances.

HTH,
Massimo
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Ignite/UX will NOT automatically re-create you mirrors if / when you need to reinstall from the make_tape_recovery tape.

Recreating your mirrors has to be done manually (you COULD automate it) after you have finished recovering from the tape. I actually prefer that since I don't want the extra time taken during recovery for Ignite to redo the mirrors. I redo them myself after I get everything else back up and running.

Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
just slept out of my fingers:

i supposed you wuold use the
make_tape_recovery and make_net recovery tools, obviously..

Massimo
Helen French
Honored Contributor

While creating recovery tape, ther won't be any issues. You can just use the standard make_tape_recovery command and create the tape. But when you recover the disk, the root mirror won't be back as normal. It will only recover the system disk. The mirroring part needs to be re-configured manually.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

So basically the "make_tape_recovery" utility will recover the primary boot disk and it will leave the other (previously mirrored boot disk) disk
un-mirrored with the data that it had before correct?

So we would need to mirror the
alternate boot disk with the
primary boot disk and then we should be ok?

10 points to any good answer.
Thank you
Gino
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes, you are correct Gino!

Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Yes you are correct Gino, but basically, you'll need to re-create all the steps to make your alternate disk a boot disk.. so prior to mirroring, don't forget that you'll need to make it a boot disk by pvcreating your alternate disk with option -B and them create a mkboot to your alternate disk.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

For the last question: The recovery needs to be done in the case you loose everything on the system (or total boot failure). If you loose only the primary disk, you don't need to recover the system from a Ignite tape since you have the alternate (mirrored) boot disk. In that case, you just need to re-mirror after replacing the failed primary disk.

But if both disk fails, you need to recover from Ignite tape (to primary disk) and then reconfigure mirroring.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!